Retequizzle Admin Application (Crazy, right?)

• Project Manager

In-game Username: retequizzle
Discord username: Retequizzle#2369
Characters you play: Space Bard, Adam DeHart, Su Doh Nem
How long have you been playing SS13 or SS14? I've never touched any iteration of Space Station 13, and have about 2,200 hours logged on Space Station 14 according to Steam, with probably another 100 or so on the standalone before I was invited to the playtest via Steam.

How many hours are you available per day: At least a few hours a day, those days vary though due to work.
Days you are available on: Sunday through Wednesday from 8AM EDT to 12PM EDT, Thursday through Saturday virtually any time. Also subject to change since I work overnight at a hotel, so if we're slammed on a particular couple of days this'll change accordingly.

Prior administration experience (SS13 experience recommended). Please also post a way for us to verify this: Currently a Community Manager for Twitch streamer "Slap" for the last 4-ish years, as well as Discord moderator for a handful of others such as DKDiamantes and tamsinwood. Twitch URL for Slap is twitch.tv/slap and I can provide the other areas I help manage upon request (or you can verify via their Discords I guess). Prior to this, I've done a fair bit of administrative work for forums, though most are dead/defunct now. To sum it up though, a lot of my administrative experience is more people-oriented rather than technical.
Have you been banned from our game servers or SS13 servers before? Surprisingly, despite most of my antics, no.

This is the more essay-y part of the application, you should answer the following questions in detail, so we can get a better idea of how you'd approach adminning.

What role do you think game admins serve on our servers? Admins should primarily serve to keep the rounds as clear-cut as possible while still staying engaging. In most cases, this means the round should be flowing in a cohesive manner - antags are doing their thing by causing general chaos, and department heads are being the bare minimum of responsible by not handing over high risk items. At that point, the less admin intervention the better. Having an administrator around to simply watch over rounds is usually enough to curtail more obvious rulebreaking and "shittery" from self-antags, which allows for more time to be dedicated to assisting with more nuanced ahelps or addressing issues if someone genuinely doesn't understand what they're doing. And in the cases where self-antags gonna self-antag no matter what, hitting people with a glowy "KILL" sign or incurable cancer usually solves the situation pretty quickly.

By contrast, in the event a round is stagnating or it's evident that nothing really interesting is going on an hour into a shift, at that point it's completely up to any administrator on whether they'd like to spice things up a bit within reason. A few strategically placed exos, maybe a surplus of cow crates arriving on the cargo shuttle... you know, small stuff that can snowball if left unaddressed by the station inhabitants.

How do you feel about the current roleplay status on the server? Short answer: it sucks lol. 

Long answer: We're in a server state where people are equating the concepts of LRP and NRP and using that as an excuse to not adhere to the bare minimum in terms of roleplay standard. For example, we still have mimes who use the emote window to bypass their restrictions on speaking by simply adding the term "indicates" to the start of whatever they would like to say (yes I've brought it up in the past yes it's a pet peeve of mine). However, that's not to say that there's simply no RP on the server, because some of the playerbase does still RP their hearts out, and those are fun moments in the server that I'd like to see more of. I will admit that I don't know if plans to slap an MRP label on a server will fix anything, but it'd be a lot better than the lack of creativity we see out of the baker's dozen of Walter Whites beelining to chemistry/science to make meth every round. 

Why do you want to become an administrator for SS14? It is kinda funny because even just a few months or even a few weeks ago, I had given a hard no to the idea. But I've had a lot of time to think about it and doing this beats going around each game as a self-appointed bounty hunter and taking matters into my own hands, even if it was tacitly endorsed by maintainers at the time. Honestly, at this point I want to be an admin because I want to help out, because I feel like I can do more than just spectate rounds and send ahelps. There's been a handful of times where I've noticed that coverage is pretty sparse, and my schedule lines up with it just enough to where I'm willing to hazard a guess in saying that it'd help to have someone on during the AU prime time, which my overnight schedule accommodates fairly well for at least a couple of days a week. 

Thanks for your consideration.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...