CrigCrag Ban Appeal

ominousShark

SS14 account: CrigCrag
Character name: Valsoski Ivanov
Type of Ban: Game Ban
Date of Ban and Duration: 7/9/22 | 10,080 minutes (presumably 1 week)
Reason for Ban: "Took the nuke disk and flew 2,000 tiles away from the station as captain, then logged out. Appeal for a shorter ban, forums.ss14.io"
Server you were playing on when banned: Don't remember which 
Your side of the story: Some time into the round I realized that it was incredibly late (nearly 1am) and heard reports of nukies being spotted at the station. Before logging off for the night, I took the captain's spare ID + the nuclear access disk and flew southwest for a while before committing suicide in order to hopefully stall the nukies long enough for cargo to order some guns.
Why you think you should be unbanned: As far as I can remember about the rules, this doesn't break any of them (at least enough to warrant a 1 week ban.) I'm not really sure, since the only place to access the rules seems to be in-game. Regardless, the nukies still had their shuttle, and the pinpointer (which exists for the sole purpose of finding the disk) and were only delayed by a few minutes.
Anything else we should know: I'm not sure if leaving added to the punishment, but I did not leave with the intent of avoiding a ban. I remained on the server for a few minutes after death to make sure the staff didn't have any issues with it, and I did not receive a staff message. Regardless of whether or not what I did was explicitly against the rules, however, I won't be doing it again.

• Game Admin

Well two things here, rule 1 of dont be a dick. This specifically states "dont stall the round" which you admitted was your plan. You sabotaged an entire nukie round before it even had much of a chance to begin.

Secondly, rule 11. Namely that last part.

image.png.5d57f8c1a37bc0fd13effa38109cc4f3.png

Thirdly, doing that same action of just killing yourself as a head role and spacing yourself so no one can basically get promoted to captain is a job bannable issue.

We do not like people derailing rounds, if the nukies failed to get the disk that is one thing. Though you completely removed the opportunity of them to get it. 

Edited by MysticPhantasm2
Removed typos

Okay, yeah. 
At the time I viewed the stunt as a rough equivalent to nukies bombing medical/cargo to slow the station's response. However, I did not take into account that
1: As the character I was playing, there was no valid reason to do this, and it was a complete failure to value one's own life as well as the confidentiality of items the Syndicate may want.

2: Nukies bombing a critical area creates a gameplay issue that can be fixed by people doing their jobs and interacting with the game's mechanics. Launching myself out into space didn't do this for anyone, instead forcing one of the nukies to abandon their gameplay in favor of holding two keys on a keyboard for several minutes. Looking back on it, this was quite frankly unacceptable. The "bad guys" in every round are still players, too, and I did not treat them as such.

3: The Captain is a very important role on the station, even when the station is in chaos. My disposal of the Captain from the round likely hindered several other people's efforts to deal with the main objective.

What could I have done better? I believe it would have been a lot better to simply put out an AHelp saying I had to go, make sure everything was fine, and then just log off right then and there. Otherwise, there isn't much to justify. I failed to consider the negative effects of what I did, and am completely at fault for that.

Would I do something like this again? No. In the future, I'll be doing my best to assess whether rash and major decisions like the one I made here are actually helping the team I am playing on, while also not screwing over the round for someone else.
I was placed in the position of head of heads, failed to head the heads, and fully understand that what I did is worthy of a job ban.

• thistbh 1

• Game Admin
36 minutes ago, CrigCrag said:

Nukies bombing a critical area creates a gameplay issue that can be fixed by people doing their jobs and interacting with the game's mechanics. Launching myself out into space didn't do this for anyone, instead forcing one of the nukies to abandon their gameplay in favor of holding two keys on a keyboard for several minutes. Looking back on it, this was quite frankly unacceptable. The "bad guys" in every round are still players, too, and I did not treat them as such.

This was what I was looking for.

Appeal accepted. Don’t do it again.

• Like 1

image.png.aec77a9db2471e0d9c572ec13d28700c.png