Opinions on a mini map

Teriyaki

I've been wondering about this for a while, since there's are a semi decent amount of maps with all vastly different set ups i was thinking about how useful it could be for new players and sec who need to get to a certain spot quick

i do understand that more you play the more you will remember each map but i have a terrible time getting turned around with no idea where to go, but on the other side if it was an exact minimap it could cause antag to destroy stations singolo etc very quickly so i was thinking as to maybe something that's along the line of the drawing, i personally would love just any kind of indicator where the hell i as most the time i play as CE but still get constantly lost 

im not an artist or anything but as a rough example i can hopefully got my point across as having a very basic minimap that shows the different dpts with colours and as shown as the green dot where you are in relation to the entire station, id love to hear any opinions about it 

also please ignore how terrible my example is 

Example.png.be4a6017312f640ea980c7f1a5c4b496.png

• 3 weeks later...

while personally i like the skill of actually getting to know each map, this is  a sci fi game so a minimap SHOULD be present. maybe an item you have to hold in your pocket or osmething for it to show up

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/18/2022 at 7:12 AM, _CJ_ said:

I agree. It would be especially helpful to new players who don't know the maps well. Maybe even make it like a PAI where they are found randomly on the map. 

Or perhaps it could be an upgrade/module for the PDA that maybe sci could produce?

I would much rather players develop proper navigational skills, a minimap isn't going to help you in a pinch, unlike truly knowing the station. There's very much a skill aspect involved here with how good one is at navigation and minimaps are kinda known for stunting people's ability to learn to navigate a space. I find them distracting and an overall detriment to the experience SS14's trying to create.

• Like 1

what moony said. I can see a REGULAR map being added, maybe for new players, but a minimap would pretty much ruin the experience of exploring, and wouldn't be realistic. Even a normal map isn't too useful, since renders of most maps are publicly visible. Not to mention getting lost is part of the fun! That's how most people stumble across cool/new things.

• Like 1

Screenshot 2022-08-16 11.16.08 AM.png

I could see something like a wayfinding pinpointer, wall maps having actual UI, or having handheld mass scanners which doesnt really work for the purpose of a map, but an actual minimap in this game doesn't really make much sense to me

• Like 1

Resident Bird Fanatic
Cult of the Many Eyed Birb

image.png.98fbe77cadcabb55baa93e3604af17e7.png

Clown.png.d109ac185717694cbf0e12a75b38b08c.png