Killing drones

Del

Yesterday, I was playing as a drone, and another player killed me for no reason. Just hey, drone, wanna see something? SMACK! Turns out, he wasn't an antag.

So I ahelped, and the admins said "drones aren't people, they have no rights". I took the bait and tried to argued that they're property, then, so it's vandalism, and they said "so it's an ingame issue, somebody has to report it to sec".

Even if I am to believe that breaking stuff as non antag is only bad when caught by other players, that's not really the point, is it? A drone is not a person, but the player playing the drone is. So a dude kills me just because he can? If someone does that, do you believe they have any consideration for others?

I was hesitant to post this, cause I feel like a fucking ungrateful guest. Admins and devs already do so much. And I was there when there were no admins and no ahelp pinging discord, and it was a nightmare. And it's not like I've never poked at the rules either. But things like these make feel helpless. It makes me feel like there's no point in calling security or admins or whatever.

I agree with you, once I was playing drone and some cargo guy was killing random drones and telling other to quote "kill all the stinken drones" and he didn’t get banned but the thing is when I carefully dismantled a window that happened to lead into space I get banned for griefing and all that.

I understand that dismantling a window in a complicated murder plan is griefing but then by the same logic shouldn't the cargo guy get banned for drone destruction? 

after all that I feel as if drones just aren’t treated with the respect they deserve. after all if I can get an admin on my back for breaking a light then shouldn't others get the same repercussions for breaking drones?

p.s. this is not meant to target the admins or to insult them this is simply a post about a weird thing in the rulebook that I feel should be changed so that all parties can have fun playing ss14.

• 3 weeks later...

you are only a drone because you were killed before, so you don't really have any right to "play". drones are just a ghost role to past time, so you aren't entitled to anything and players are free to vandalize as much as they want ! if drones were a role you picked like any other role, then yeah it would be stupid if players just killed you

Rules against self-antag and RDM are largely concerned with game balance. From that point of view, yeah, drones are mostly irrelevant. Killing them or any other ghost role is of little importance.

From the point of view of role playing, it's bad roleplay, but these servers are LRP, so whatever, doesn't matter.

But the fact that this violence serves no gameplay or roleplay purpose is what makes it problematic. It's a meta violence, a form of violence directed not at the character, but at the player. "My fun is stopping you from having fun." It's like you're playing in a chess tournament, and you opponent tells you to go choke on a dick, and you call the referree, and the referree says "eh, that's not against the rules of chess". It's unsportslike at best. It's toxic.

If the admins have any interest in fighting toxicity and promoting a respectful atmosphere, then this should be a bwoinkable offense.

• Project Manager

In regards to killing drones, I personally see no issue with it if one drone is causing problems. One bad apple and all that jazz. There's been points where we'll just go on a drone murder spree because one person from two rounds prior took it upon themselves to grief the station and we're just not keen on dealing with it again.

You likely did nothing wrong as a drone (though outright admitting to opening a window up to space kinda negates that good faith belief), but if a ghost role is being used in a way to disrupt a round for players who are still involved and active in it, then yes there is a huge disparity there compared to a person or group of people taking it upon themselves to destroy the drones before they can destroy the station. In all honesty, SS14 as a community is not responsible enough to play as - or play alongside of - a drone.  The amount of ahelps sent in regards to drones griefing or drones being killed as a result of another one griefing is indicative of that. 

To that end, you bring up the point about how destroying a drone isn't an act against the drone, it's an act against the player of the drone. You cannot really argue this point while also acknowledging that you're playing as a ghost role, which is meant to have an inconsequential role in the round regardless of what's going on. It's no different than attacking sentient monkeys, or deleting active pAIs. Is it a shitty thing to do unprompted? Sure, I'll grant that one. Is it bwoinkable? No. It's a ghost role. If there's a player who is willing to try and resolve the conflict IC by having the person arrested then all the better, but involving admins over ghost roles is a waste of time for all parties.

6 hours ago, Retequizzle said:

In regards to killing drones, I personally see no issue with it if one drone is causing problems. One bad apple and all that jazz.

Oh, definitely.

The amount of ahelps sent in regards to drones griefing or drones being killed as a result of another one griefing is indicative of that. 

How does one obtain information about the amount o ahelps?

You cannot really argue this point while also acknowledging that you're playing as a ghost role, which is meant to have an inconsequential role in the round regardless of what's going on.

What? No. What I'm saying is the exact opposite. The role is mostly inconsequential to the round, but it's not inconsequential to me. Otherwise I wouldn't be playing it. I don't mind being killed by an antag. I don't mind being nuked five times in a row in sandbox. This is a violent game, and we agree to certain forms of violence when we play. But I don't feel comfortable playing with people who take pleasure in bullying others. One bad apple and all that jazz. And I imagine the admins would have a similar stance.

but involving admins over ghost roles is a waste of time for all parties

This... maybe. I can understand admins being overworked. But I don't really know how overworked they are, so I brought up the issue.

I forgot to reply to this.

7 hours ago, Retequizzle said:

It's no different than attacking sentient monkeys, or deleting active pAIs.

Monkeys are raised for meat. There's roleplay reason for killing monkeys, and I can accept that... if you're working in the kitchen. There was this one time, that some folks that didn't have any kitchen related jobs killed me because hehehehe fuck you monkey.

A pAI serves its master. If the master wants a different AI, that's cool.

On 4/13/2022 at 1:31 PM, Del said:

So I ahelped, and the admins said "drones aren't people, they have no rights". I took the bait and tried to argued that they're property, then, so it's vandalism, and they said "so it's an ingame issue, somebody has to report it to sec".

I feel as if drones should have limited rights that can be revoked if they are harming the station or messing something up as they are a asset to NT and the station alike.

Nerfed as they curently are, if you revoke their rights further, then there ins't anything left.

Maybe if you only allow them to build, and not deconstruct... but what if there's a cracked window? You have to deconstruct it to reconstruct it, I think. Seems finicky.

I think drones are really fine as they are now, and all issues have been ironed out. And griefing as a drone can be handled like any other form of griefing.

Wow, look at the Nyanotrasen RP server rules.

Try not to ruin other people's rounds. You shouldn't remove someone from the round unless you are an antagonist, or they are an antagonist that has caused quite a headache for the station.

- The rules are slightly more lax for killing ghost roles, but leave them alone unless they're being a nuisance.

All in all I think their ruleset is real cute.

https://github.com/Nyanotrasen/Nyanotrasen/blob/master/Resources/Server Info/Rules.txt

Ha. I didn't even acktchyually need to look that far. Wizard's Den, first rule:

Don’t be a dick. We’re all here to have fun. Antagonists have leeway here since ruining the round is kind of their job, but try to keep it interesting if you’re antag.
- Be considerate of what other players want. If everyone is dead, don't stall the end of the round to finish your personal projects (such as building a shuttle)