Thomasasia ban appeal

Thomasasia

Original ban appeal

Second ban appeal

SS14 account: Thomasasia

Character name: I do not remember (I change it often)

When was the ban: Around the 16th or 17th of March

Server you were playing on when banned: Lizard

Your side of the story: I was banned because I was pretending not to like short people. This was meant to be a joke, and my behavior was reinforced when everyone I interacted with thought it was funny. I even made friends with another character, who pretended not to be a dwarf so that my character would respect him. The admin who banned me explained that I was being racist against dwarfs.

Why you think you should be unbanned: I didn't think that pretending not to respect short people counted as racism, so i didn't know that it was against the rules. I was never warned about it, I was simply and immediately banned.

I would never really be prejudiced against anyone. Not on the basis of religion, race, sexuality, or the abilities of a person. I think it's very important to temper our behavior online to make it a welcoming place for everyone, and I really do understand and appreciate the enthusiasm of the moderation staff in this matter.

To this end, I will not make any remarks about short people, and I will strive to adhere to the fullest interpretation of the rules. Let's join in arms and make this community a greater place.

My discord is Thomasasia#5378 if you want to talk!

Side note : I attempted to connect to the server with an alternate account to test the implemented SS14 ban evasion measures. I knew my actions would be visible, and I was not trying to deceive anyone. I didn't realize it was against the rules, though I now I understand that my actions were unacceptable.

As a result of this ban, I have been paying more attention to by conduct in video games recently, as I genuinely do not want people to feel unwelcome or discriminated against. In general, this leads to a better experience for everyone, including myself, and increases social cohesion during urgent or intense game-play moments. I have also been involved in an increased number of social outreaches (though unrelated to my ban experience, it has contributed to giving me a more empathetic outlook).

Given that SS14 is an inherently social game, it makes both moral and practical sense to make our community as welcoming and open as possible. If i am unbanned, I will ensure this culture is nurtured and fully present, and I will not contribute towards toxicity and exclusion in any form. I will also work with the admins through the admin-help by reporting instances of toxic and exclusive behavior.

My previous ban appeal was denied because I reconnected to get the forum link from the ban message. (Thus the content of my previous appeal is still relevant)

As far as things go, there is nothing of value for me to add onto my previous ban appeal, except to make the implicit explicit : I'm genuinely sorry for what I did, and I'm ready to be let back into the community.

On 4/13/2022 at 8:11 AM, Thomasasia said:

Original ban appeal

Second ban appeal

My previous ban appeal was denied because I reconnected to get the forum link from the ban message. (Thus the content of my previous appeal is still relevant)

As far as things go, there is nothing of value for me to add onto my previous ban appeal, except to make the implicit explicit : I'm genuinely sorry for what I did, and I'm ready to be let back into the community.

Willing to unban on this occasion as you've appealed three times now and the ban has almost lasted a month, however do take on the following comments:

• In future don't just quote your previous ban appeals, linking them is nice but quoting creates this nested abomination above.
  • "Testing the ban evasion measures" isn't necessary. Funnily enough this forum is littered with people who attempt it every day and to no surprise are caught. If you really want to help test it then contact us on our discord with whatever proposal you have for testing it that you think hasn't been done before by others.
  • If it wasn't clear, the rules are harsh on anyone taking a bigoted stance, this includes speciesism or however you want a call it as a form of racism, amongst the other isms and phobias. Some people don't like to be treat differently and just play the game to have a fun shift on their favourite work simulator set in the voids of space.
  • Please re-read the rules and if you have any issues with them or want to discuss them, please feel free to with our staff in the official discord (not on the game servers, it's OOC clutter).
  • And finally, this is your first perma ban and second ban in total. We do take this into account so try to keep your nose clean and if you are banned for the same or similar reason again it will be much harsher.

Thanks and enjoy the new content you've missed while you've been away.

Chief ideaguy