Samuel Hayden/Sammy Boy Admin application

mirino

In-game Username: Mirino
Discord username: mirino#6493
Characters you play: Samuel Hayden
How long have you been playing SS13 or SS14?

I have about 2.3k hours total in ss13. 1k hours separated between playing/observing in /tg/ Manuel, about 900 hours in old RussStation and the rest is assorted servers like Hippie, CM, Citadel and others.
I've been on and off for a few years now (4 to 5), and I might still have my TG account... somewhere, if proving these numbers is necessary.

How many hours are you available per day:

I am available the whole day. I work as an IT technician from home, so I can always jump in and answer to tickets or problems. When I'm on the pc, I also enjoy leaving the game on and just observing random people as background noise, even while working/studying.

Days you are available on:

All days of the week

Prior administration experience (SS13 experience recommended). Please also post a way for us to verify this:

Sadly, the following cannot be proven in any way as they have been lost to the annals of history, but I'll jot them down anyways:
SS13 - 6 months in a tiny, 20 people server. Due to the number of people on, it was pretty easy to deal with. The server only ran on specific dates as the host hosted it on his own pc, and the rounds were high-RP focused, where every event was written down to contribute and create a big lore book about the station.

Tibia - A veeeeeery old MMO (released in 1997). I created and administered an OT (open tibia server, basically just a server of my own) for about 3 years from 2009-2011, reaching peaks of 600 concurrent players. Due do a huge decrease in interest from the playerbase (old game, couldn't create new quests/content fast enough), I had to shut the server down as donations weren't enough to cover server costs.

Runescape - Remember old private Runescape servers? I had one! Lasted only a little more than half an year (about 8 months), where I got close to 100 players, but got discouraged due to the sheer amount of hackers/cheaters/botters, and chose to shut the server down.

Have you been banned from our game servers or SS13 servers before?

Nope.

This is the more essay-y part of the application, you should answer the following questions in detail, so we can get a better idea of how you'd approach adminning.

What role do you think game admins serve on our servers?

Admins are the foundation of any server. A team of admins can make or break a server/community in any game. Their responsibilities vary from game to game, but it always involves ensuring that the rules are being followed correctly (to which a precise understanding of said rules is required), helping new players by answering their questions and guiding them, solving conflicts whenever necessary and reporting issues or bugs when found.

SS14's admins don't fall too far away from this description, with one extra requirement not commonly present in other game's admins: Conflict resolution.
Due to the nature of the game, many many issues will arise where two or more individuals will be at each other's throats due to their understanding of events. It is an admin's job to solve that issue to the best of their ability while also properly explaining any punitive measures given to the involved individuals, in a way that does not offend or perpetuate the conflict between the players. Surely this is easier said than done, but I don't believe it to be impossible, nor unreasonable.

How do you feel about the current roleplay status on the server?

As someone that has more experience with Medium to High RP servers in SS13, I'd like to see more. A new server, with a new set of rules and a clear understanding of the minimum-level of RP expected is something that I hope I'll see one day in SS14. Personally, I'd consider the current (main) servers to be a mixture of NRP and LRP, which leads to a more hectic, less talkie more shootie type of gameplay, which is still very fun, but I'd like to see more.

Why do you want to become an administrator for SS14?

Even though I have a reasonable amount of hours in SS13, I always complained and was bothered by the fact that my computer (and internet connection, since I live in Brazil) always left me hanging. Most of my traitor plans were foiled due to the fact that the game ran at 20 fps at times, with many, many missed clicks and delayed interactions. Not mentioning that I could never truly hold a conversation since it'd take me a full minute to answer, at times.

I've always hoped for a port just like SS14, something that would keep the soul of the game intact, but allow us (peasants of the bad pc/slow connection) to play to our full potential.
I've lurked around in most "ss13 revival project" 's discords like UnityStation and 3DStation, but so far, only SS14 has shown and kept showing promise, making me believe it will one day BE the next ss13.

Due to that, I want to be a part of it. I want to help anyway I can to ensure the project continues with the momentum it currently has. I want to see it explode in popularity and be partially responsible for it's success, even if just a little. Heck, I'm even trying to learn C# to make a few PR's myself (I ported over Eswords and did a few other minor bug fixes), just to be sure I'm doing anything I can (and also learn in the process). Who knows, maybe even one day I'll add this whole thing to my curriculum!

spacer.png