Admin Unknown - Racist Ban Appeal

Racist

SS14 Account: Racist
Character Name: Hardy Woodstein
Time of the ban: Less than an hour ago
Ban description: "Likely an alt. (Bad username, VPN usage)."

Your side of the story: This appears to be a purely proactive (and/or discriminatory?) ban; I had simply been doing my job as the station's Warden for the past couple of rounds, making sure that everyone who entered the Brig was accounted for and, if necessary, given speedy sentences; the longest time I ever gave was three minutes for a high-risk Possession charge. At one point, I ahelped that I needed to disconnect for a system reboot, because my system audio stopped working properly. It is my belief that this got the attention of the responsible admin through the notifications on Discord.
After I logged back in and my character came to in the Armory, the Captain had come in to grab something. I quickly asked him for an ID check, he complied, and I handed it back. He said that he would have bisected me with his sword if I did not give it back, and I frankly said, "with all due respect", that his attempt to kill me would not have been successful. He challenged me to a taser duel, first to fall loses. I readily accepted, and each of us were standing at the opposite end of Brig, very patiently waiting for his confused Mime attendant to count down for us. Before that could happen, I had been permanently banned, and my body had gone catatonic after accepting a duel.

Why you think you should be unbanned: 
I see no need to justify my username if neither it, nor I, are breaking the server rules.
From what I know, I haven't done anything to break the rules. No racecrimes have come from my virtual mouth, using bigoted language in neither IC nor OOC. I was simply doing my job aboard the station, and did not perform, nor did I intend to, grief.
With regard to the possibility of this being a good-faith, proactive anti-griefer ban, and not a discriminatory one: If I'm supposed to be a griefer, and this account my sleeper shell, I wouldn't be playing on one account trying to gain "rapport" over the span of multiple weeks, probably even months, of normal play. That would be way too much effort for probably the most dedicated of griefers on this game. 
With regard to my VPN usage: With the modern security landscape, I don't trust all the devices on my LAN not to try and do some sort of sketchy shit with my own machines. I also don't see a reason to trust a lot of external entities with knowledge of my IP address. Using a VPN hasn't been an issue for me when I've played on this server in the past, so I don't understand why it's an issue now.

spacer.png

The problems that arise when you pick a troll name (such as Racist) is that you also have to accept what happens when people respond to the trolling. In this case, an admin decided that having a person walking around with the username Racist was a bit of a bad look for the game- regardless of how well you actually play in the round. It doesn't make much sense to call that a discriminatory ban. Your name is literally the noun for racial discrimination. The in-game character name of Hardy Woodstein doesn't help your case either.

FWIW I followed you in a round and your gameplay is actually very good. I am not opposed to you rejoining the game, perhaps under a different account name. But that comes down to your banning admin and what the rest of the team thinks.

• Thanks 1

image.png.aec77a9db2471e0d9c572ec13d28700c.png

16 minutes ago, Stealth16 said:

In this case, an admin decided that having a person walking around with the username Racist was a bit of a bad look for the game- regardless of how well you actually play in the round.

For an SS13 remake project that's trying its best to grow and maintain a playerbase (and keep itself listed on Steam), I can understand the optics angle in that sense. Ostensibly, the BYOND SS13 servers didn't have a need to keep such standards, but for a game where there's only one real server, for a game that's more or less still in alpha, and it's official—yeah, I get it. Admittedly, I'll be a bit brokenhearted with not being able to use this name, but I would be willing to use a different account for the official servers (provided this permaban is lifted, or I otherwise have express authorization to use a different key.)

37 minutes ago, Stealth16 said:

FWIW I followed you in a round and your gameplay is actually very good.

Thank you! I do my best.

• moony locked this topic