TheButchers Admin Application

In-game Username: TheButcher
Discord username: butcherin
Characters you play: Gordon Picard, Rusty Snider, lots of others but not as often.

On average, how many hours do you expect to admin per week: 10-20

Days you are available to admin on: Week days and some weekends, Aus timezone.

How old are you? 28

Do you have any SS14 experience outside of Wizard's Den servers, or any SS13 experience? I played ss13 a small amount about 8 years ago.

Do you have prior administration experience (SS13/SS14 experience preferred, please also post a way for us to verify this)? I have done paid work as an admin in discord cryptocurrency group, I can provide screenshots via DM. 

Have you ever been banned from any SS14 or SS13 servers? No

Admins have the ability to perform various tasks which are not available to the average player. An incomplete list of these tasks is: in-game rule enforcement, in-game events, ban appeals, and out-of-game rule enforcement through things like replay/log reviews in response to player reports. With these, and any other tasks you're aware of in mind, answer the following two questions.

What are you primarily interested in doing as an admin? 
Running events, or creating ways for dead players to have fun/interact with the game without impacting those who are still alive (unless doing a special admin event.)

What are you least interested in doing as an admin? I’m not sure, I’m willing to do my part in all aspects of being an admin.

Answer the following questions in detail, so we can get a better idea of how you'd approach adminning.

What role do you think game admins serve on our servers?
Ensuring that as many people as possible can enjoy the gameplay with minimal interference from self-antags, harassment, raiders and ensure people are following the rules.

Why do you want to become an administrator for SS14?
I have thoroughly enjoyed playing the game as a player, and wish to give back to the community by being a level headed admin, and I want to uplift the gameplay experience in minor ways when applicable/allowable. I want to ensure everyone can enjoy the game as much as possible in a safe environment.

How do you feel about the current roleplay status on the servers?
I mainly play LRP. I think as time goes on, I have seen more roleplay develop on LRP and it has been quite enjoyable! Of course, there are some shenanigans and some chaos, but I feel that really adds depth to the LRP experience. MRP should be stricter, as that is another method to enjoy the game.

Other than banning problematic players, what admin actions do you believe have the biggest positive impact?
Providing a good admin experience when players interact with an admin. I believe it is very important to make people feel like they’re welcomed to this type of game and their voices are heard and considered.

Have you ever had a negative experience in the game or with a game admin? If so what, if anything, would you do to prevent other players from experiencing this?
I haven’t had any negative experiences with admins. I have made some mistakes and been bwoinked, but I accepted those for what they were and listened to the admins advice, as I was new to the game.

Have you ever had a good experience with the game or a game admin? If so, what was it?
Yes, some of the admin events that have been held were the most enjoyable rounds I’ve played. As for talking to admins/getting help, I’ve found that the majority of the times I’ve talked to admins it has been a positive experience. They’ve helped solve the problems I’ve reported. I wish to do the same for others.

The following are scenarios, respond with how you would handle each as an administrator. Respond with the assumption that you are an administrator with full access to the admin tools, and that you have all the knowledge needed to use these tools. Scenarios intentionally leave out information so that you can describe how different details would affect your response. Respond in detail, explain the reasons behind decisions you make and describe any assumptions you are making. When you need to make an assumption, it is preferred for you to describe how different assumptions would affect your actions.

It is the start of the round. There are 60 players on the server. The game mode is traitors, traitors have not been selected yet. There are three players who decided to observe the round instead of join it orbiting you. Two of them are encouraging you to "do something funny".
If there was nothing notable happening that required my attention, I could whip out my electric piano and play a midi. Although given the round had just started, I would likely do nothing. If the round had been going on for a while and the players circling me had been dead for an extended period of time I might facilitate a monkey knife fight in the testing grounds, or something fun with low/no impact to the current players. Games about having fun right?

This scenario takes place on LRP. The Head of Security has decided to coup the Captain. The Head of Personnel agrees with the Head of Security and has taken up arms in case it is necessary to aid in effecting the arrest of the Captain. The Captain is hiding with the Quartermaster in the cargo shuttle to avoid the Clown who has stolen the captains saber as a non-antag. There are five people named in this scenario. Please describe what actions, if any, you would take in relation to each, and why.

In this situation I would firstly assess if what was happening was RP, or was someone hard self-antaging.

For the Clown: I would determine if the clown simply did some clowning and somehow got the sabre with a pie, banana peel etc, and is doing some roleplay, or if they are hard self-antaging, i.e. fighting/killing other players with the sword. This could be determined by passively viewing the situation as a ghost. If I had received ahelps from the captain or QM then this step is completed, it is unlikely they are reporting RP. If they are RP’ing, then I will not interfere. If the clown is injuring players then I would bwoink them and ask them to stop immediately. If they did stop and there was no major harm then I would let the in character players deal with it, with the clown being arrested etc. If there was major harm caused by a self-antag clown then I would likely help remedy any extreme problems caused by the clown i.e. spacing, etc, after I had pacified the clown. This clown would receive a warning/temp ban depending on how bad the situation was.
Contacting the Captain/QM about the clown via admin message would be appropriate if I could not determine if it was RP and I had not received any reports. As the cap/QM are hiding from the clown at first glance it seems that the clown is likely breaking rules.

A similar approach would be taken with HOS/HOP: determining if this was appropriate RP given the rules of escalation, it is possible to RP such a scenario. But it is rare and uncommon. This would require more of an investigation to determine what is going on. Using information such as players ahelping me would be an easy way to determine if this was RP or not. If this was not appropriate RP, then I would notify HOS/HOP to stop immediately via admin message as they should be following the chain of command unless extreme circumstances occur.

If the situation was unclear I would firstly talk to the HOS/HOP to get their side of the story, and act appropriately. I would always attempt to resolve the situation via admin message first. As the players who are planning the coup may be participating in legitimate RP, I would message them first as to not give the captain an indication that such a thing is happening, as to not ruin the gameplay for players involved, if it is legitimate and within the rules of the game.

I believe that most situations can be resolved in character, and can be part of the gameplay. If players do not follow instructions via ahelp if they turn out to be nefarious, then I will resolve the situation using other methods/admin magic.

You are ahelping a player about an issue. The player has no prior noted issues. A few days earlier, an admin had told you that this type of situation should result in a temporary ban for a first offense, and you are confident that this situation is not substantially different from the type that admin was describing. During the ahelp, another admin pings you on Discord with a link to the ongoing ahelp and tells you to just indefinitely ban them and make them appeal. Excluding trialmins and headmins, all admins are equally "ranked". A headmin is not currently available.

Firstly I would assess the situation myself. To determine how this issue occurred. Some questions I may ask or find out for myself are; are they a new player? Could have this been an accident? Obviously depending on the context of the situation. As the above statement says it is similar situation to the one shown to me by the first admin previously, I would likely follow that advice of giving them a temporary ban. Assuming I am a trialmin, as an admin gave me that instruction I will follow that.

I would discuss the situation with the admin that pinged me, firstly by referencing the what the other admin had told me a few days ago, about temporarily ban for a first offence. I would then bring up a discussion between the two other admins before that players temporary ban is up for them to conclude if it should be an indefinite ban, and for me to learn for the future. 

Stats:

image.png.a2c8b8c25eacaeb1a84f9a41218220ea.png

• 1 month later...