LukeTheGreen - Specism

= For game bans =

SS14 account username: LukeTheGreen
Ban reason: Specism
Date of ban: 08 / May / 2023
Length of ban: Permanent
Events leading to the ban: I was playing as a Diona and asked a Lizard to clean up my spillage in the bar, I was into the character of my diona being a drunk, junkie so I was rude with what I said, something along the lines of "clean my mess up lizard" in caps. They said they have a name and I replied "You're just a lizard" or something like that. They asked me for a fight and I shot them with my beanbag shell shotgun as a warning as it's my bar. They then attacked me with a mop and was trespassing and calling me racist... From there it was me being attacked and using self defence against the characters. I later said some things that may have been interpreted as specism but I wasn't intending to offend an actual player. It's just a fictional character after all... I didn't realise people could be so offended by fake racism. I don't mean to offend anyone with this or come off as malicious. Thanks
Reason the ban should be removed: I feel it shouldn't have been a permanent ban, I wasn't warned or anything, the admin even asked me to stop being racist and I did immediately???

Edited by LukeTheGreen

I just want to mention that I was the lizard involved in this situation, hopefully this isn't considered peanut posting. I'm in a bit of a sleep deprived state, as I have to pull an all-nighter tonight, but the result of this situation is weighing on me a bit, as I feel responsible for it.

For the full line-up of events, however, here's my side:
I was at the HoP line getting access changes, and saw the barkeep refer to the HoP as "lizard". Sometimes, that's just a quirk of a character, so I didn't pay too much mind to it, but it felt a bit off.

Later, I went to the bar, and the situation detailed by the OP happened. I asked "Do you wanna go?", as I felt actively insulted by the situation, and they fired their shotgun at me.

I retaliated for it, because, well, yea, I'd just gotten shot, I jumped the table, hit them once with my mop, and they ran into the bar back room. I hopped back over the table, and the other diona in the situation (the sec officer) flashed me, baton'd me, and cuffed me, despite them being present for me getting shot first. This is what ultimately triggered me to start telling folks about what had happened. The sec officer piddled about for a minute or two with me cuffed, instead of taking me to security, I got brigged, gave my side of the situation, and the bartender got arrested after.

I was released, but was asked to return to the brig because it was requested I get a witness for what had happened. I saw OP in the jail cell, and mentioned that my shit got stolen because of them, and that I was dissatisfied that I got ganged up on when they fired the first shot. There was another speciest-comment tossed out about "how lizards always use their claws", at which point, I corrected them, saying that I had, in fact, used my mop.

After that, I'd warned several other lizards about what had happened, not with the intention of starting a mob. I genuinely wanted to warn others about it, mostly because both the other bartender, and the chef, were lizards. The situation soon spiraled into what I felt, was a bit out of control, OP got stamcrit, dragged to security, and I lost sight of the situation after that. I left the brig feeling somewhat satisfied the result, and assumed they would have learned their lesson at that point, as the warden or HoS had told them if they were racist again, there were going to be much worse consequences.

I returned later as they were getting gibbed, and honestly, I felt pretty terrible about it. I figured justice had already been served, and that them getting gibbed was much too far, but it's not my place to question it at that point. I just wanted to add my side of things on what happened, with my hope being that this entire situation (both ingame, and out of game) is enough to dissuade them from doing it in the future.

• Game Admin

I'd like to mention in case you weren't aware, the first rule shown in the game (Excluding rule 0), directly below zero tolerance rules, outright says absolutely no specism in any form. image.png.d573726952912ccf0d8c9b078abe7061.png

• Game Admin
2 hours ago, LukeTheGreen said:

They asked me for a fight and I shot them with my beanbag shell shotgun as a warning as it's my bar. They then attacked me with a mop and was trespassing and calling me racist... From there it was me being attacked and using self defence against the characters.

You attacking first disqualifies you from claiming self defense. It isn’t self defense, you literally shot him.

image.png.aec77a9db2471e0d9c572ec13d28700c.png

47 minutes ago, Stealth16 said:

You attacking first disqualifies you from claiming self defense. It isn’t self defense, you literally shot him.

I want to clarify here that I'm fairly certain they mean self defense during the mob attack, not the initial confrontation, based on how things went down. Or at least, that's my understanding of it. Since they're saying character(s) and not character. There were several people going after them during the mob portion of events. I might be wrong though.

Edited by WFTWP

• Project Manager
5 hours ago, WFTWP said:

I just want to mention that I was the lizard involved in this situation, hopefully this isn't considered peanut posting.

Sharing your perspective of what happened in a situation where someone was banned isn't considered peanut posting. Peanut posting generally refers to sharing you personal opinions about if the ban will/should be accepted, making fun of the appeal/player, or posting other things that aren't relevant to the consideration of the appeal. Thank you for your perspective.

image.png.bc33d4c567502f1e0c0325f43cb6f70b.pngimage.png.a54e0c38b83579a437f56d4e5b55048b.png