ZeroTheFirst - Banned for being sexist?

ZeroTheFirst

SS14 account username: ZeroTheFirst
Ban reason: "sexist behaviour, left before I can Bwoink. Appeal on server"
Date of ban: Permanent
Length of ban: Infinite
Events leading to the ban: I was a service worker. I was trying to help the chef cook stuff, and I asked if they could make me a sandwich. They said yes, so I started off making making a lot of cheese because she said she wanted to start off making burgers. I accepted the burgers instead of sandwiches and she didn't want me making cheese just yet, so like any crazy chef, she dragged me into the freezer area and started stabbing me. I fought back and ran out of the kitchen then never went back there the entire match. I went to HOS and told her about the incident. He allowed me to defend myself using my shotgun but only with the non-lethal rounds if she did that again. I went around telling my story to other people to warn them of her actions against me. Towards the end of the match I tried talking to her, but she tossed eggs at me and probably felt hurt after I told the new bartender that arrived to the station about her on what she did. After the match, I just left because I had to go to work.
Reason the ban should be removed: I just want to be able to play the game. I didn't think making cheese and telling her she was a crazy woman for pulling me into the freezer and trying to stab ne to death was worth me being perma banned. In fact, why doesn't she get perma banned for instantly trying to kill me for not obeying her actions right away? What if I died, I refused to fight back? What if I died and she put me in the freezer locker the entire match without getting respawned? No justice, because admins aren't around when I get wrongfully killed the entirely match, but I aint complaining.

I believe the context of word "woman" was when I fought her off and back up, I yell, "Woman!" multiple times, I think. Although it was hard remember in the exact context I used that word. I was just trying to get her to stop with the aggressive manner towards me so I can help in kitchen. I wanted to learn more on how to cook, and she stopped me from doing that action. So, I just stopped the whole kitchen thing entirely. It was in the span of 1 minutes that I yell multiple times woman so I am not sure.

Edited by ZeroTheFirst

Taking words out of context in a video game and labeling someone as sexist without understanding the full context is like taking a single frame from a movie and assuming you know the entire plot. It's unfair and does a disservice to both the game and the person in question

Hi, uninvolved admin here. Looking at the logs, this is a rough version of events I can piece together:

• You, service worker, join the station. After about 30 seconds, you start spamming "Woman" over and over for what I can only assume is no purpose other than to annoy the other player, ending it with "Cook my a sandwich woman" [sic]
  • The Chef tries to guide you into activities where you can assist with their goal (after all, you are a training job).
  • Over the next 30 seconds, you proceed to start being disruptive by making as much cheese as possible despite the chef's protest to go obtain salt or other fixings and to stop making cheese.
  • The chef gives up trying to talk to you and tells you to leave. You ignore them.
  • The chef again asks you politely to "please leave", you say it is "your job to help the bar and kitchen", ergo the chef says "then please do what I asked".
  • The chef threatens to demote you for being disruptive, you say "no".
  • At this point, the chef has had enough and is presuming you are trolling, and starts a fight with you.
  • After escaping this fight, you decide to make it your mission to harass/discredit/antagonize this player for the rest of the round due to a situation you yourself initiated.
44 minutes ago, ZeroTheFirst said:

Taking words out of context in a video game and labeling someone as sexist without understanding the full context is like taking a single frame from a movie and assuming you know the entire plot. It's unfair and does a disservice to both the game and the person in question

I fail to see how immediately calling someone "Woman" over and over and then telling them to "make me a sandwich" is not a stereotypical sexist remark. In addition to this you also proceed to continually degrade this player's round for the rest of the game for reasons I am not sure of.

I am sorry. I didn't mean to degrade that person. I was role-playing. I wanted to see how she reacted to that phrase at the beginning of the match. I wasn't sure if she was on the joke or not. So I left it at that. I made the cheese well I was looking up the space station wiki on cooking. I wasn't looking at the screen fully, so when I heard of demotion, I was confused, and said, "No" Then I got stabbed, wondering why she trying to kill me. I looked up chat and saw the salt. I never brought it up though since, she was telling sec that I started trying to fight her and she was trying to get me locked up. I took so much offense to that so I called her crazy woman because I was upset she even dared to pin that shit on me. Sorry for my language.

I accept, that I was a bit too upset over the little scuffle when she tried pinning it on me that I tried attacking her. I admit I went to HOS and told him of it. But they never did anything so, I went around telling people what the chef did because I was mad. Near the end of the match I wanted to talk to her through chat well maintainning RPG. I didn't know how exactly to say it without being awkward in the chat since people were near that could see LOC (I think that was called). I'm glad you looked at the context.

Edited by ZeroTheFirst

In my record of events:

• I made a sexist joke - "Woman, make me a sandwich" (I wasn't sure how it was taken. So, I dropped the joke and asked, what we were making. She said burgers, and some other foods stuff.
  • I said, "I start making the cheese."
  • I made lot of cheese, well the milking cow, I was looking up the space station wiki, only look at the game to alt click the cow to make more cheese.
  • There was a lot of cheese so we can get the milk regenerating for later use for more cheese.
  • After I clicked back onto the game when looking away, I was pulled into the freezer area where I believe I asked what was going on, then I was getting stabbed multiple times. I figure she was trying to kill me because of some object as Traitor.
  • I ran out of the freezer and used the knife she dropped to stab back. After getting the better of her, I ran out where she called sec to come to kitchen. If you look at her chat logs, she typed, that I was the one who started the fight
  • Where I believed I walked by and called her a "crazy woman" for stabbing me.
  • Upset I went straight to Sec office to report her to HOS.
  • He did nothing and said just don't kill her if she does that again.
  • Mad, I roamed around. Every time I came by her kitchen I called her a "crazy woman" rightfully so for knifing me, after pulling me into a secluded area.
  • Near the end of the match I felt bad for calling her that because she was probably a new cook like I was, but still didn't give her the right to stab me for making cheese.
  • Near the end of the match I wanted to talk with her, I kept up my role-play and I asked playfully, "Can I make some cheese again?" Hoping I could ask her why she tried killing me in the freezer area earlier.
Edited by ZeroTheFirst

Final words:
I'm writing to plead my case regarding the recent ban I received. I understand that my sexist joke about a sandwich was not appropriate, and I stopped the joke there. However, there is a serious issue at hand is the fact that the female chef tried to permanently kill me in freezer with a knife.

Now, I don't want to make a big deal out of this, but I was quite shaken by the whole experience of being permanently outed from the game. And to add insult to injury, she tried jailing me. Could you understand why I would be salty after that?
I've been trolled in similar ways by other players before, and I never once complained to the admins. I been throwed into morgue unable to play the entire match by a foolish doctor, and I been demoted entirely to passage because A WARDEN WASNT WATCHING HIS CAPATIVE and pinned it on me for keeping him in there for over 10 minutes. But I never asked admins for help because more than or not, there are no admins in theses matches.

I admit that I called her a "crazy woman" a time and time again during the match, but can you blame me? She tried to permanently dispose of me via meat hook or locker, Other wise why take me in a secluded area (aka freezer)? Of course I would be salty and do a little belittling.

I know my behavior may not have been perfect, but I believe that the situation at hand warrants a more lenient approach. I am not asking for special treatment, but I am asking for fairness. The fact remains that I was attacked and threatened with permanent death in the game, and I believe it's unfair to punish me for reacting in a way that reflects my emotions.

I understand the seriousness of the accusation of sexism, but I want to emphasize that my actions were not motivated by misogyny. It was a joke that didn't land well, and I stopped it there. Yet I wanted to reflect that she tried killing me and failed, so I called her "crazy woman" because her name was too long to type out. I hope you can understand why I would react in a way that reflects my frustration and fear of being perma killed. 

In conclusion, I hope you can reconsider the ban and take into account the circumstances that led to my behavior. I am willing to learn from my mistakes and make amends by making other players laugh in these chaotic matches. But I don't believe a perma ban is the appropriate response in this situation.
At the end of the day, this is a game, and we're all here to have fun. I understand that my comment may have been inappropriate interpreted, but let's not take things so seriously. This was not cyber bullying, I did not target it her after the match, and I carried on having fun the next match before leaving due to work related events. I think we can all agree that this is taking things a bit too far. So let's all take a step back, have a laugh, and move on.

We would appreciate it if you did not make your posts harder to read by applying colorful highlighting.

I would like to point out a few things before I close this:

I understand that my sexist joke about a sandwich was not appropriate, and I stopped the joke there

I find a significant difference between an off-handed or poorly-told joke telling a "woman to make me a sandwich" much different then what actually took place, which was you saying "Woman" seven times over 30 seconds and then punctuating it with a sexist remark. This does not come off as a joke to anyone, this comes off as harassment.

the female chef tried to permanently kill me

She tried to permanently dispose of me via meat hook or locker, Other wise why take me in a secluded area (aka freezer)?

You have no way of knowing this was the intent of that player at that time. More than likely after telling you to leave, this chef intended to remove you with force since you were being uncooperative. If they had actually permanently killed you we would probably have a different story.

I've been trolled in similar ways by other players before, and I never once complained to the admins. I been throwed into morgue unable to play the entire match by a foolish doctor, and I been demoted entirely to passage because A WARDEN WASNT WATCHING HIS CAPATIVE and pinned it on me for keeping him in there for over 10 minutes. But I never asked admins for help because more than or not, there are no admins in theses matches.

All admin-helps are relayed to moderators via the SS14 discord. Your failure to report rule-breaking activity against you is nobody's fault but your own. Administrators are not omnipresent nor omniscient and we cannot magically detect rule breaking behavior, hence the admin-help system. Simply not reporting players breaking the rules against you does not gain you leverage when you break the rules yourself. I would suggest that if these issues are occurring that you admin-help them so we know they are occurring to begin with.

Admin consensus is to modify this ban to expire a week from now. I would very strongly suggest that you do not make sexist or off-color jokes to other players to gauge their reactions and then harass them all round when they understandably get fed up with your behavior.