It's too easy to impersonate people

Davidian1024

I've experienced this from both sides now.  I'm still very new to this game.  I'm still very new to this type of game in general.  And yet, I've had my PDA stolen twice without me noticing, and I wasn't AFK.  I think I was looking through the wiki both times.  The one time I think they actually stripped me naked.  I'm pretty sure all that happens when you're being pick pocketed is a little white message appears over your character saying it's happening.  After having this happen to me a couple times, it made me think that this was all just part of the game.  So then I decided to do it.  And, I was surprised to see how easy it was.

I think there should be a sound effect that gets played and maybe some sort of visual effect.  Something that immediately draws your attention to what's happening.  In real life it's very difficult to do pickpocket because you'll feel it.    There should be something in the game that's as attention grabbing as someone sticking their had in your pocket in real life.

And getting someone's clothes off...  That needs to be impossible without their consent, unless they're incapacitated or something.

Beyond that I think it's then too easy to use a PDA that doesn't belong to you.  Like you should have to hack it's bio-metric authenticator or something.

So, like I said, I'm still very new.  Maybe I've missed something, or just not understanding.  But this seems like a real problem.  It has me constantly worried someone's gonna try to steal from me.

Stealing from people and impersonating people are two different things.

There is a very clear bar that appears if someone is trying to remove something from you alongside dialogue that appears. Simply put if your attention is split on a wiki page, yes, someone can approach and pickpocket or remove something from you. 

This is annoying but the replies are right ahelp it.

Im a smoker, i go out and smoke almost every hour. What i do is find library, make sure its empty which it usually is, turn off the disposal unit and hop in. Great way to save yourself since nobody is going to check library disposal while your afk. Dont go afk in halls or populated areas. 

• thistbh 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2023 at 4:16 PM, lonesoldier55 said:

Stealing from people and impersonating people are two different things.

There is a very clear bar that appears if someone is trying to remove something from you alongside dialogue that appears. Simply put if your attention is split on a wiki page, yes, someone can approach and pickpocket or remove something from you. 

you cannot deny that stealing from people (ID's, uniforms, etc) and impersonating them go hand in hand. if you need to pretend to be the robotcist, just get a robotcist suit, pickpocket a robotcist when he's not aware and put on a welding mask. ez game.

Edited by Jaid
misspelled "impersonating" as "impregnating" cuz autocorrect.

I do think some sort of audible noise may be nice , however then you may run into the issue of it being too difficult for a syndie to do syndie things if the noise is made too loud or audible to all players(not just the player getting robbed).

if you want to impersonate someone you need a voicemask and an ID with their name- preferably their PDA and ID. If someone is acting suspicious, just ask them to show you their face and talk, cant have a voicemask work with it on the ground! If you are being stolen from SO EASILY just ask someone to let you hide in their department, or go into a disposals bin. Hell, put your ID and PDA in your bag so people dont see it and grab it and then run. goober level set to the max. 

17 hours ago, lonesoldier55 said:

Except OP is exclusively complaining about people stealing from him, not about people impersonating him.

yeah.... if it's too noticable its just boring for everyone, in my opinon it's fine where it's at. you really gotta make sure noone is pickpocketing you. it's basically impossible to pick pocket people in normal ss13 nowadays.