CakeMaestor's Admin Application

CakeMaestor

In-game Username:
CakeMaestor

Discord username:
CakeMaestor

Characters you play:
Cake M. Aestor (LRP), Paulo Navarro Toledano (MRP), Moons-Pale-Fire (MRP)

How long have you been playing SS13 or SS14?
As of 02/02/2023, I have logged in roughly 768 hours on SS14. Most of the hours is on LRP, although I do occasionally play on MRP. I have no time playing on SS13.

How many hours are you available per day:
It may change in the future. As it stands, I can be available at least 1-2 hours on weekdays and 3-4 hours on weekends.

Days you are available on:
Depends on my schedule.  I am usually free on weekends, and I can make time on weekdays.

Prior administration experience (SS13 experience recommended). Please also post a way for us to verify this:
I have no prior administration experience beforehand.

Have you been banned from our game servers or SS13 servers before?
Was given a 10 ban once for spamming OOC sometime around mid-November (I think). Beyond that, no.  

This is the more essay-y part of the application; you should answer the following questions in detail, so we can get a better idea of how you'd approach adminning.

What role do you think game admins serve on our servers?

Game admins are there to maintain the health and well-being of the servers – both the game and its community. The primary method is to enforce the rules, which is much harder than it sounds for two reasons. Firstly, admin logs are messy: it is text-based and often cannot provide full context. Therefore, admins collect logs and witness testimony (via AHELPs or spectating in-person) to piece together a complete picture. Secondly, admins need to properly decide how to punish someone. It’s easy to apply a ban, but good game admins know this is a last resort, and punishments should be handled IC if possible. Many issues of ‘shittery’ are done because of incompetence rather than outright malice. Handling incidents, IC can warn against continuing certain activities, enhance RP, and even salvage a bad situation. 

Admins can also spice up rounds through ‘admeme’ events, which can help enhance RP and excite veteran players with more randomness and variability in an existing shift. Like enforcing rules, this is a fine line to maintain, not to introduce too much randomness that might derail the experience and make it the equivalent of NRP. 

How do you feel about the current roleplay status on the server?

Not good. My experience in MRP is limited. From experience, it has virtually zero shitters thanks to the low population and whitelist. However, my perception of MRP is slightly hampered due to a few shifts where people explicitly mentioned remembering me from previous shifts despite the new-life rule in place. This was a while back, so the environment might have changed since then.

The bulk of my grievances is reserved for LRP (WizDen Lizard). The obvious is directed towards ‘shitters,’ a relatively common occurrence. It’s obvious why shooting a clown for funsies due to ‘Barotrauma PTSD’ is not good RP. However, I think a good portion of the community, even respected frequents, are too mechanics-focused and ‘play to win .’ In an LRP server, this is somewhat understandable. However, many take this too far, treating it as a top-down action game. I think this facilitates behavior that ranges from mild – like OOC slang (wtf, lmfao, etc.) in IC, to infuriating – like metagaming & powergaming. Recently, egregious levels of metafriending or metacliquing seem to be more prevalent, such as the “Samuels Incident.” I believe all these detract from the RP experience and give the wrong impression to many outsiders, where ‘winning’ is the goal, not proper RPing or ‘having fun together.’ 

Why do you want to become an administrator for SS14?

There are three reasons. Firstly, I love SS14, both LRP, and MRP. I won't be so harsh otherwise. I can see the potential in the game and the community, and I want to help. Many frequents have expressed disillusionment with the WizDen servers, and many outright stopped playing on them or at least permanently moved to WizDen Salamander (MRP). I don't blame them, I've had absolutely horrible shifts, some of them directly resulting in a permanent drain in my capacity to play certain roles like Captain or Head of Security. This is a downright shame, and I want to help regulate the servers (especially Lizard) to be less 'shittery' and more inviting and fun to play on. I've 

Secondly, I want to guide willing players down a more RP-friendly path. I’mI’m harsh against OOC behavior because I made many of these mistakes before when I was newer. Before, I’d often engaged in bad RP and NRP and displayed powergaming, metagaming, and even obnoxious behavior. I grew to regret many of these actions, in large part due to the admins using the AHELP relay to push me in the right direction, and I am very grateful for it. I won’twon’t be where I am today without them. I want to emulate their behavior and help promote RP more, in addition to helping with general questions about mechanics. 

Thirdly, I want to help with the bans & appeals process. With the expected rise in game population over time, there are bound to be banned from dealing more ban appeals to process. More staffing might be needed, and I want to help alleviate some of the strain. Forums have and are already hosting appeals in a state of limbo - those from 2 weeks to a month ago with no verdict decided. This is no fault of the admins; they are volunteers and often have other priorities. It’sIt’s simply a case of not enough people. In particular, I want to help dive through and review logs. As written above, logs diving is incredibly unfun and tedious for many due to how chaotic it is – based on what several administrators told me previously. I want to assist with the ‘‘dirty work’’ however I can to help speed up appeals.

Thank you for your time, and thank you for reviewing my application.