elixirsoup - meta gaming and self antag spree

elixirsoup

SS14 account username: elixirsoup
Ban reason: metagaming and self antag spree
Date of ban: 2/4/2023
Length of ban: perma

Events leading to the ban: myself and a group of seven other players joined as similar characters named samuel and during the round we walked up to bridge and a kill sign popped up over the caps head so one of the samuels killed them so another player was dragging the body and as we were following that person we got banned.

Reason the ban should be removed: for the meta gaming we had talked to each other about setting up the character and when we would play days before we had even joined the server but were not in a call at all during the time playing and only roleplaying and talking in game, one of us in the group even spoke to an admin and asked about the plan and was told we could, just no talking during the game. as for the self antag we had killed a player that the cap told us to because they were after them and the death of cap was due to the kill sign.

• Project Manager

Please answer the following additional questions:

1. Who told you that they had spoken to an admin about the plan? Do you know how the admin was contacted or who the admin was, and do you remember what specifically you were told an admin approved of?
  2. Another person involved in the situation indicated that the group had decided that each member would be required to believe anything any other person from the group told them. Are you denying that this occurred?
  3. What was the extent of your involvement in the killing and gibbing of someone at the order of the captain?

image.png.bc33d4c567502f1e0c0325f43cb6f70b.pngimage.png.a54e0c38b83579a437f56d4e5b55048b.png

On 2/6/2023 at 7:20 PM, Chief_Engineer said:

Please answer the following additional questions:

1. Who told you that they had spoken to an admin about the plan? Do you know how the admin was contacted or who the admin was, and do you remember what specifically you were told an admin approved of?
  2. Another person involved in the situation indicated that the group had decided that each member would be required to believe anything any other person from the group told them. Are you denying that this occurred?
  3. What was the extent of your involvement in the killing and gibbing of someone at the order of the captain?

1. Rodriguez Hasselhoff was the one that talked to somebody. i had been told that he asked a mod but after all this he later found out that it was just someone with a colored name which he thought was a mod.

2. yes we did think of that idea for the hivemind joke, but nobody actually did it at all. so that was true, but fell through completely since everyone had different ideas on what they wanted to do.

3. i had hit that person maybe two or three times but backed up because i didn’t want to be in the middle of the fight since somebody was hitting me and i was dying.

55 minutes ago, Chief_Engineer said:

What leads you to believe that no one followed through on the hivemind thing?

Why did you decide to attack the person and what was your intention with the attack?

the hivemind thing fell through because there wasn’t anything in the game that was said to form into a bit while playing mostly because we got to play for a good thirty minutes before being banned. as i said the attack on the other player was because the captain said they were trying to kill them and that player even confessed to putting med/space and other pens in the captain in the ss14 discord. i didn't intend on gibbing the person i was just attacking because everyone else was.

• Project Manager

Are you familiar with our escalation rules? At the time of the attack, what IC knowledge did you have about what the other player had done? Do you believe that it is justified to execute and gib someone for doing this? When, if ever, do you feel the sequence of events where someone is beaten to crit, then to death, then gibbed in response to this begins to be considered overescalation by the server's rules?

image.png.bc33d4c567502f1e0c0325f43cb6f70b.pngimage.png.a54e0c38b83579a437f56d4e5b55048b.png

48 minutes ago, Chief_Engineer said:

Are you familiar with our escalation rules? At the time of the attack, what IC knowledge did you have about what the other player had done? Do you believe that it is justified to execute and gib someone for doing this? When, if ever, do you feel the sequence of events where someone is beaten to crit, then to death, then gibbed in response to this begins to be considered overescalation by the server's rules?

i am fairly familiar, but like i said only hit him a couple of times. it's just that when you have eight plus people (the captain and janitor and someone else were also hitting that player) that three hits each = 30 hits in two to three seconds. as I said I didn't plan to gib them only meant to kill because cap said so, its just so many people hit him at once he exploded. I can see how it's a bit of overescaltion for the mob mentality, and i wasn't aware of his crimes, but the captain had told us to kill him and even started to attack him himself. so i don't think i overescalated, because that spiraled out of anyones control because you can't make eight plus people stop hitting all at once. 

3 hours ago, Chief_Engineer said:

I'm not able to find any logs where the captain hits Landon.

my bad i didn’t realize the captain didn’t actually hit him there was just so much chaos going on to realize who was hitting and who wasn’t. i really did not have part in much of what happened with the samuels except for following the group and hitting that landon guy maybe two times.

There are five appeals open across five different users for the same offense. To save everyone some time, I am going to copy/paste this response which will contain dispositions for each player involved in this. These dispositions represent the consensus of the entire administration team, not just myself.

The Issue

A large group of individuals pre-planned an appearance and naming scheme to facilitate identifying one another in-game. This identification of one another was used to form a mob and act as a cohesive unit to which other players had little hope of doing anything against due to the number of players involved. This is metagaming (using outside information, who those other players actually are, to your advantage). This mob of individuals engaged in a large amount of disruptive activity generally taking the form of a protest or riot (saying "peaceful riot" doesn't change the fact you are calling for a riot, which would fall into "calling for strikes, revolutions, cults, etc.").

Regardless of if the metacommunication was done during the round or done before the round to pre-plan this does not matter, we still see it as metacommunication and it was clearly abused to the detriment of other players not involved in it. 

The Verdicts

Rodriguez_Hasselhoff - As this is your second appeal ban, you will remain appeal banned and require a voucher of good behavior from another SS13/SS14 server to appeal. You may only provide that voucher and an appeal after six months from now (Aug 11, 2023).

Wulfeee - You, alongside Rodriguez, appear to be the primary instigators or organizers of this. It seems clear to us from a discord screenshot provided by randy10122 that you intended to bend the rules to your advantage to facilitate the metamob without using the textbook definition of metacommunications. You also were forum banned while we mysteriously had a bunch of users we had never seen before show up on Rodriguez's first appeal. While I have undone your forum ban, you will remain appeal banned and it is highly unlikely you will successfully appeal your ban without a voucher of good behavior from another SS13/SS14 server.

WYATTWYATT100 - Your ban will be reduced to one week from now. From what I see in the logs you were clearly orchestrating a mob or riot to the detriment of the station. Multiple instances of you directing the mob or trying to instigate it to cause trouble or antagonize people. You have been cordial within the appeal, so we will step this down to only a week for now.

randy10122 - We will accept this appeal.

Monstrosity - We will accept this appeal.

elixirsoup - We will accept this appeal.

R3TR0_T4P3Z - We will accept this appeal.

Our banning policy dictates that the next appeal ban after the first will automatically be a voucher ban. Voucher bans require a voucher of good behavior from another SS13/SS14 server and are unappealable for six months after they have been issued. For those unbanned, if you wish to continue playing on Wizard's Den we strongly suggest you re-read the rules and be on very good behavior.

• Thanks 1