Gtheglorious's Admin Application

Gtheglorious

• In-game Username: 

Gtheglorious

• Discord username:

Gtheglorious #2087

• Characters you play: 

Rebecca Watson on Lizard, but also play as Sits-In-Shalows occasionally in Mining or other servers.

• How long have you been playing SS13 or SS14?

I've put in around 500 hours since august 2022

• How many hours are you available per day: 

All EST afternoons and more

• Days you are available on:

Every day at this point

• Prior administration experience (SS13 experience recommended). Please also post a way for us to verify this:

No admin experience in ss13 or ss14, but I am an admin in the Swords Comic discord server (~3,000 people) for around three years. 

• Have you been banned from our game servers or SS13 servers before?

No

• This is the more essay-y part of the application, you should answer the following questions in detail, so we can get a better idea of how you'd approach adminning.
  • What role do you think game admins serve on our servers?

The role that admins serve in SS14 is to ensure people have fun. They do this specifically by mitigating players who are preventing the positive experience of the game, dealing with rule breakers, and keeping positive experiences going through a shift, sometimes with small or large events. The role of a game admin is very similar to a competent dungeon master who doesn’t force the station down a set path, allows people to form their own stories and characters, can help resolve issues and conflicts between players, and knows and is confident enough to say no when someone breaks the rules or acts out. A good admin should also know how to piece the bigger picture by being aware of the station events, asking questions, and checking logs when a situation seems too complicated or interwoven. Another thing a admin should do is help guide new players in the right direction so they can have fun and bring in more valuable members to the SS14 community.

• How do you feel about the current roleplay status on the server? 

With the increasing popularity and inevitable curse break, I see more and more people join the game and not understand how to actually play . As an example, I put my entire detective game on hold to teach a new janitor that roleplaying as a serial killer was not ok (for context, I just brought him back from crit after he got beat up for killing Paperwork) and then proceeded for the duration of his sentence to give him tips and advice on how to have fun as his job without needing to be an antagonist or getting into the way of other peoples fun. Unfortunately we got spaced and died immediately after he was released. A relatively recent problem is the map Barratry which breeds NRP, it’s a great map with really good roleplaying opportunities, but in the LRP setting of Lizard, it has the opposite effect, like the theory that a street with broken windows encourages crime, and you can really feel it on the map, same thing happens when a power outage event, or AME explosion occurs, if it goes on too long, the station becomes unrecoverable due to the ensuing crime spree.

Another problem is the entire security roleplay state, where most don’t really even try excluding detectives, which leads into security getting departmental access without asking the respective head, which causes problems because “if security does not have the respect to ask permission, why should I respect security”. This problem also happens on a higher level with the head of security rarely asking the heads or even cap for departmental access because they already know the Hop will give them complete all access! I have witnessed a couple HOSes express difficulty in trying to not get all access when all they want is the basic access that the Hop has the right to give (chef, chapel, bar, theater). Continuing and finishing the sec roleplay situation is the inability to ask or try to read a situation before assuming criminal activities and attempting to arrest everyone involved, the biggest  example being the nuke keg. 

I feel like the roleplay situation could be improved by a system in other games where you can commend other players for good roleplay at the end of the game. Though this could be abused.

• Why do you want to become an administrator for SS14?

I’ve felt like I found a game I truly care for that I just can’t put down, and the only other game I’ve felt that connected to was Minecraft. SS14 has quickly become one of my top most played games of all time and I don’t want this game to fail or fall to people who disregard the rules or get away with bullying or come in to ruin other peoples fun for their own amusement. Reading experiences in #stories about people never wanting to play roles or on the server again because of self antagonists is heartbreaking, and the knowledge that it could’ve been stopped if an admin was online is painful. If people’s first experience doesn’t want to make them return because of a lack of moderation, it feels like a failure, and having more people around to respond to ahelps, or just being online to moderate in general can only help.

I want to be a part of helping people and the community to keep having positive experiences of Space station 14.

• 2 weeks later...