Do you think ss14 would ever get these chat features?

willowthebillowum

I'd love these in the game, But some are a bit much to code.

Voice Chat

Auto Translation

Moving while typing (Automatically forces character to keep walking towards cursor while user types)

Selectable text

Clickable links

Text to speach

Sounds to text (Subtitles)

Edited by willowthebillowum
i shit my pants
  • Like 1

• willowthebillowum changed the title to Do you think ss14 would ever get these chat features?

It's already possible to move while typing - hold a directional key (W, A, S, or D), then press your chat keybind and start typing. Your character will keep moving in the same direction as long as you hold the directional key, but you won't be able to change it nor will you be able to use the directional key in your message (since you're holding it, and releasing it brings your character to a stop). While not ideal, this still comes in handy when chasing people or generally avoiding having to stop to type while walking.

4 minutes ago, mzajc said:

It's already possible to move while typing - hold a directional key (W, A, S, or D), then press your chat keybind and start typing. Your character will keep moving in the same direction as long as you hold the directional key, but you won't be able to change it nor will you be able to use the directional key in your message (since you're holding it, and releasing it brings your character to a stop). While not ideal, this still comes in handy when chasing people or generally avoiding having to stop to type while walking.

yeah I use this sometimes, but yet again. not able to change direction why did this go in bold all of a sudden help me wtf

Not sure if this is an effect of playing on Linux or replacing the GLFW library with Debian's (since textboxes fail to work at all with the bundled one), but I'm able to select text just fine, shortcuts included (eg. shift+ctrl+arrow):

image.png.314682149b8b74511cfaecfa0cda41ce.png

I reckon that TTS would be a fun and interesting thing to have ingame. I'd love to have it for rp, as being able to choose a voice that suits your characters the best would be a great way to expand on their personalities and overall identity. 

Deleted my previous post because I'm stoopid.

I CAN ctrl+shift+arrow. What I can't do is Ctrl+A (irrelevant, now that you can just press escape to erase written dialogue) and Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V (probably by design, and a good thing).

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

for voice chat, mumble has positional audio plugin built in
If you could implement that into a server, and into mumble it would be crisp and clear without having any load onto the server itself. Albeit, at probably like 20$ a month for the mumble server (not too sure how much they cost nowadays)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Project Manager
On 12/27/2022 at 8:25 AM, willowthebillowum said:

Auto Translation

Moving while typing (Automatically forces character to keep walking towards cursor while user types)

Selectable text

Clickable links

Text to speach

Sounds to text (Subtitles)

AutoTranslation: This is a really complicated one and it would probably require connecting to and using an external api (maybe google?) WYCI

Moving while typing: You could create a user option to just enable arrow keys while typing (you would have to disable moving the cursor with them though) WYCI

Selectable Text: Pretty sure this one already exists if not WYCI

Clickable Links: If you mean clickable hyperlinks, that's a major security vulnerability. Since people can use malicious URLs to download files or phish for info (such as logins). Maybe with some link masking and warnings but still, kinda risky. If you mean linking to the wiki or ingame items like WOW or some MMOS? WYCI

Text to speech + Sounds To Text: We'd need to use a library for this but I don't see why we couldn't add this for accessibility. WYCI

TLDR: Most of this is definitely doable but no one has been actively working on any of these. If someone wants to give it a shot some of these could be an easy-ish first code PR.

• 2 weeks later...