Alarmed - Banned for assuming someone else got punished "metacomms"

Alarmed

SS14 account username: Alarmed
Ban reason: metacomms
Date of ban: 12/18/22
Length of ban: appeal only
Events leading to the ban: Very early on in game I overheard a conversation between RD and someone else, I then blackmailed the RD into AA. Later in the game an admin messaged asking who gave me AA, told him the previous sentence. I then noticed that the RD wasnt in game anymore, I told the admin "I dont think the RD should be punished, we both acted in character" The admin then got very defensive which confirmed my assumption, he accused me of metacomms saying I wouldve only known that if the person DMd me on discord. I dont know that RD, but even IF that was the case, that wouldnt be metacomming as all the information was exchanged over an admin chat, not in character. 
Reason the ban should be removed: I dont feel what I did was perma ban worthy

• Project Manager

Hi, please answer the following additional questions:

1. Can you give more details about the information you used to blackmail the RD and how you went about the blackmailing? Did you talk to them or write a note, and what did you say/write/etc.?
  2. What caused you to conclude that the RD wasn't in the game anymore?
  3. Do you recognize the player from previous rounds? If so, have you interacted with them before?
7 hours ago, Alarmed said:

I dont know that RD, but even IF that was the case, that wouldnt be metacomming as all the information was exchanged over an admin chat, not in character. 

Simply knowing the RD would not be considered metacomming, you were not and would not be banned for simply knowing them, but this is irrelevant as you claim to not know them.

image.png.bc33d4c567502f1e0c0325f43cb6f70b.pngimage.png.a54e0c38b83579a437f56d4e5b55048b.png

1. While I was in prison I overheard the RD talking to HoS about using perma prisoners for testing, much later in the game I got the RDs attention and wrote a note (I was a mime after all) saying how I heard him talking about it, he got very nervous and agreed to giving me something. At first I asked for all access but he said that was too much, so instead I asked for All access minus heads, he was hesitant but agreed. 
2. At first I thought I didnt see him on the manifest, but apparently I was mistaken and he was on it, I accepted my fault to the admin, but pointed out his attitude which furthered my suspicion. 
3. I did, he was usually an RD so I recognized him name and looks. I cant recall any major interactions between us, other than small talk.

• Project Manager
3 hours ago, Alarmed said:

While I was in prison I overheard the RD talking to HoS about using perma prisoners for testing, much later in the game I got the RDs attention and wrote a note (I was a mime after all) saying how I heard him talking about it, he got very nervous and agreed to giving me something. At first I asked for all access but he said that was too much, so instead I asked for All access minus heads, he was hesitant but agreed. 

How did you get their attention, and what lead you to believe the RD would be able to change your access level?

image.png.bc33d4c567502f1e0c0325f43cb6f70b.pngimage.png.a54e0c38b83579a437f56d4e5b55048b.png

I got their attention the way mines normally do, aggressively pointing at them. It was really just a lucky guess, I was always taught to ask for something greater than what you actually want and work your way down, that way what you actually want doesn't seem as bad. Lucky for me he took my second offer.

• Project Manager

Alright so just to make sure I have your version of the timeline correct I've written it out all together, please make any corrections, even if minor:

1. You overhear HOS and the RD talking about using perma prisoners for testing.
  2. Much later, you get the RD's attention by pointing at them a bunch.
  3. You write a note saying that you know the RD was planning on experimenting on perma prisoners and that you want to be given AA. You didn't have any reason to believe the RD could give you AA, you only asked for it to start your negotiation in a place where you had a lot of room to move down.
  4. The RD tells you that AA is too much.
  5. You write another note, or add on to the previous note, now only asking for AA without head access.
  6. The RD is hesitant but accepts your offer, giving you AA without head access in exchange for you not telling anyone about what you heard.
  7. Later you're messaged by an administrator and give them information about the situation.
  8. You don't notice the RD's name on the crew manifest anymore, leading you to believe that they were not in the game anymore.
  9. Presuming that they had left because they were banned, you message the administrator to say that you don't feel they should be punished because you feel you both acted reasonably in character.
  10. You find out that he actually is on the crew manifest, but still think they've been banned based on the admin's response.
  11. The admin accuses you of metacomms, asking if you are or have been communicating with the RD on discord.
  12. You were not communicating and have not communicated with the RD on discord or in any other way outside of the game. You also do not know them outside the game, so you deny the metacomm accusation.

Please correct any information that is wrong, even if minor. Also, feel free to add any additional information, even if minor. If this is a fully accurate description of the events as you claim them to have happened, please respond indicating that.

• Project Manager

Logs appear to show this version of events:

1. You ask for basic AA so you can pretend to do jobs but it's rejected
  2. You forge a note from the captain saying that you can have AA, it looks like the note is just a joke and not malicious
  3. About a minute later, you have access to the ID computer and the RD asks you for AA, offering a silver bar as a bribe
  4. You give the RD AA: Armory, Atmospherics, Bar, Brig, Captain, Cargo, Chapel, Chemistry, ChiefEngineer, ChiefMedicalOfficer, Command, Engineering, External, HeadOfPersonnel, HeadOfSecurity, Hydroponics, Janitor, Kitchen, Maintenance, Medical, Quartermaster, Research, ResearchDirector, Salvage, Security, Service, Theatre
  5. You give yourself AA: Armory, Atmospherics, Bar, Brig, Captain, Cargo, Chapel, Chemistry, ChiefEngineer, ChiefMedicalOfficer, Command, Engineering, External, HeadOfPersonnel, HeadOfSecurity, Hydroponics, Janitor, Kitchen, Maintenance, Medical, Quartermaster, Research, ResearchDirector, Salvage, Security, Service, Theatre
  6. You are arrested and have your AA taken away, while in custody you write a note: okay heres my story, hops window was open so i gave myself aa, i didnt take hops card, i threw them hops remote so theyd get off my ass, they chased me, someone else stole hops remote and im not a syndie
  7. While you are in custody, the RD is talking to the HOS and says: When can I start testing on your prisoners
  8. Later, before any apparent communication from you, the RD says "I've got a debt to repay" "I'll be back" to someone.
  9. A few seconds later you knock on a reinforced window
  10. About 30 seconds later, you point at the RD twice, then take out paper and a pen and write: RD you owe me something, I gave you AA, I want AA
  11. You point at the RD again and throw them the paper
  12. The RD takes the paper, throws it back, and says "Yeah" "Give card". The time between picking up the paper and saying "Yeah" is 5 seconds.
  13. You give the RD your ID and they give you the following access: Armory, Atmospherics, Bar, Brig, Cargo, Chapel, Chemistry, Command, Engineering, External, Hydroponics, Janitor, Kitchen, Maintenance, Medical, Research, Salvage, Security, Service, Theatre

Can you explain the discrepancies between the version of events you've presented and the one that the logs seem to give? Specifically:

1. You indicated that you had no reason to believe the RD would be able to change your access. In reality the RD had both AA along with an ID computer, and you were the one who had provided them the AA.
  2. The RD appears to be aware that you're coming and that you are going to ask them to repay a debt before any in-game communication, likely before they could have even seen you, but certainly before you point at them or knock on the window.
  3. The note you write does not mention the experimentation on prisoners, or anything you heard the RD talking about, it only mentions you having given the RD AA earlier in the round.
  4. There is no in-game communication where the RD rejects your request for AA or where you make any sort of counter request for AA without head access. If either of these things happened, they did not happen using any in-game method of communication.
  5. There is absolutely no indication in-game that the RD hesitated. They are in possession of the paper for about 4 seconds and say "Yeah" one second after throwing it.