Ban appeal for FunOnTheBun - (Executing unarmed, cuffed, recently cloned known Syndie)

FunOnTheBun

SS14 account: FunOnTheBun
Character name: Jessica Von Traus
Type of Ban: All command role ban
Date of Ban and Duration: November 1st, 3 am CST, indefinite.
Reason for Ban: Execution of a prisoner exceeding requirements by rule 13. (not getting cap's permission)
Server you were playing on when banned: Lizard
Your side of the story: After having a night to think about I definitely was in the wrong on this one. It was red alert, this guy, the Chaplain I believe bombed HoP and killed me in front of a lot of people and got away. So when I was cloned I decided to do a little bit of RP and go full revenge maniac, grabbing an enforcer and stalking Maints for his head while sending my sec team out for him. Somehow the guy died and for some reason unknown to anyone, this known bomber Chaplain was cloned by medical despite the protest of Sec team. So being in character, I just shot him when he was cuffed up. In the back of my head I did consider the requirements for execution, for example the unable to contain bit. Previously in the round a syndie had bombed security completely spacing it and allowing for guns to get into pop (which the chaplain used to kill me by the way) and was filled with trit at one point. I had also seen the last time I was at sec current prisoners dying or dead of asphyxiation. I know I should have asked cap first but med were being dicks and I was already tired and in character, so yeah I shot him.
Why you think you should be unbanned: I think I am a good head quite honestly, well as good as any I suppose. No one is perfect, I surely ain't. But I try to bring a life to the RP aspect of being a head. If you read my last appeal that got closed because of this incident you'll hear more about it, but you can also ask some of the regulars I tend to hang out with. To me this is a fun game because you can play it super serious by the books trying to be efficient, or you can have some fun and make flawed characters and whatnot. But I'm going to be honest, I do not understand why y'all keep giving me indefinite bans. Well more of why that Chief_Engineer guy does, for what seems to be one round mess ups. I do think the punishments given to me are a slight bias, as seen in my other appeal.

Okay let me go on a little tangent here. If you look at the logs, you might see I am aggressive toward your admins. It's more of I am aggressive to an admin who I believe to be a poor judge of character who seems to be the only staff member who punishes me despite me being on for most of the day most of the time. Like honestly, I'd be more fine with a punishment like this and more accepting if some other guy gave it to me, a guy who hadn't been passive aggressive to me in unrelated ahelp chats.

Anyways, yeah, I think I bring that unique RP aspect to the community, I try to play each round a little different from chill, lax, a little bit memey or super serious. It's one of the reasons why I want to take up a captain role so badly because it is mainly RP from the looks of it (also one of the reasons I don't like to play engineer).  
Anything else we should know: Please, if you are going to try to lecture me, use a different admin than one that I am known to have a rocky relation with.

3 hours ago, FunOnTheBun said:

Okay let me go on a little tangent here. If you look at the logs, you might see I am aggressive toward your admins. It's more of I am aggressive to an admin who I believe to be a poor judge of character who seems to be the only staff member who punishes me despite me being on for most of the day most of the time. Like honestly, I'd be more fine with a punishment like this and more accepting if some other guy gave it to me, a guy who hadn't been passive aggressive to me in unrelated ahelp chats.

You mentioned at one point that you only respect one of the admins that starts with an S. So myself and @StreakyHaddock (I imagine you were talking about them) will both be responding to this.

We make our decisions as a team. Each of our thoughts and experiences are considered when dealing with a user. When you, as a user, are abrasive to the majority of the team, the majority of the team does not see value in unbanning you from head roles due to the relationship that you have over other users.

Personally, I cannot speak to many experiences with you in-relay, but I have played alongside you ingame multiple times and found you to consistently be an irritating, argumentative powergamer who complains both IC and LOOC when things aren’t going your way. With this lens, reviewing your logs with various admins makes me believe this is not just you being irritated at specific admins, this is the norm. And that makes me extremely hesitant to give you leniency.

image.png.aec77a9db2471e0d9c572ec13d28700c.png

I'd just like to also chime in that wordlessly doming a recently cloned person with little/no explanation and because you are "RP'ing a revenge crazed psycho of a HoS" is a very poor reason to front your use of force with. The execution could have been perfectly valid if you took it through the proper channels more than likely but I think you skipped several important steps.

You also have 12 notes on your account. They involve, in no particular order:

• Spacing/killing yourself immediately round start (2x)
  • OOC/IC and IC/OOC when things are not going your way (2x)
  • Validhunting with contraband as a QM/Ordering and breaking open weapons as a QM without real purpose
  • FOUR notes for questionable or downright poor HoS play:
    • Asked if you could use less lethals to abuse the crew for "non-crimes" and or abuse/degrade prisoners verbally for not really any reason
    • Over-zealously executed a bartender (by spacing them) for shooting security with a flaregun without following the proper channels
    • Over-zealously used lethals to incapacitate or kill a crew member randomly attacking people without making any effort to utilize less-lethal means
    • Arrested a security officer for "no weed or donk pockers" (???)

You are also frequently abrasive in the ahelp relay. All of this combined I am frankly surprised you are only dealing with a command ban.

1 hour ago, Stealth16 said:

You mentioned at one point that you only respect one of the admins that starts with an S.

So I don't know about you, but personally I am a person who tries to earn people's respect and only respects someone who proves to be respectful. I don't think I have earned much respect on the server, but I have seen respectable people (that includes you, you were the S and from the few encounters with people dealing with admin stuff I think you have done it well). I also want to note I have personally seen bad staffing behavior (from my personal view) from two staffs and good staffing behavior from one. I am certain there are more than 3 staff members so I have no views of the staff team as a majority. 

We make our decisions as a team. Each of our thoughts and experiences are considered when dealing with a user. When you, as a user, are abrasive to the majority of the team, the majority of the team does not see value in unbanning you from head roles due to the relationship that you have over other users.

I once tried to be a bit nicer to the staff team, or at least more formal. At one point I said something like "snitches get stitches" about ahelping to Chief_Engineer. Later I kind of realized I was being pretty dumb so I started to use ahelp, at one point ahelping about something to only get a response from Chief_Engineer along the lines of, and I am paraphrasing here since I don't think I have access to logs, "only when you learn to snitch" (again I am not sure of the exact wording). A response like that sure don't make you have the greatest faith, since it seems like he isn't going to be dealing with the issue properly based on previous interactions. 
But yeah, I do again want to reiterate if it is known that I do not get along with one specific admin more than others and it is known, on record that I do not think his judgements are unbiased I would suggest using another person who is coming to the same decision to speak with me instead. A neutral party per say.

Personally, I cannot speak to many experiences with you in-relay, but I have played alongside you ingame multiple times and found you to consistently be an irritating, argumentative powergamer who complains both IC and LOOC when things aren’t going your way. With this lens, reviewing your logs with various admins makes me believe this is not just you being irritated at specific admins, this is the norm. And that makes me extremely hesitant to give you leniency.

Yeah, I'm sorry. You get yelled at enough times for doing your job bad enough you start to do it as well. I do believe I've been pretty toxic during very urgent or stressful situations, for example Nukies and whatnot. Other times I should chill out a bit more is when talking about staff decisions, looc talk about people doing bad at their jobs, and as previously known admin interactions. But for most of my speaking and interaction on the server I am IC, I tend to play lead characters as harsh people, specifically for HoS I'll play them as militaristic and "ends justify the means," for example anytime I deal with a captain that does not authorize lethal force during syndicate bombings at red alert. I also tend to be grilling my staff IC for most of the time, hell I usually discuss how I deal with my staff with my go to number two Rico Suave. Sometimes this grilling is really needed, cough cough that time that warden gave out lethals during green and broke into my room to steal my gun and shoot me with it for demoting him for the previous action. 

I'll try to work on my temperment with other players though on an ooc note. I know that I've been less than kind in dead chat more than once, so yeah. I really like playing a head and RPing, I have made friends being a head and I have lead teams through the most dire of circumstances. In the game that this punishment came from I had personally gotten two syndies red texted (not including the guy I executed) through deductive reasoning and leadership (one though finding advanced magboots in coats in his backpack when he tried to hide them the other using pinpointer on evac to arrest and confiscate his stolen goods).

This last paragraph here is kind of a conclusion with some questions for specifically stealth, currently I am in a 3 hour class and I'd like to ask and comment on the post made by lonesoldier when I get home. 

I have roleplayed on a lot of games, but not a lot that include instead of writing actions but actually preforming game actions, so what is this server's definition of "powergame?" Also, I would like to talk over VC about a lot of these issues brought up so I can get a better grasp of the community here and how to properly conduct OOC business here since there is a few rules against meta comms and whatnot (plus the lonesoldier mention of mixing IC and looc whatnot, still need to think about that post a bit). I plan on using the three day game ban as a period of time to kind of work this out, with my personal goal to get to know the staff and therefor community a bit better to improve my interactions in the future, I hope you can help with that but if you are busy or other staff are busy I also understand. But yeah, that's that, feel free to respond here or DM me about it over discord, mine being FunOnTheBun#2020. 

• Project Manager
2 hours ago, lonesoldier55 said:

You are also frequently abrasive in the ahelp relay. All of this combined I am frankly surprised you are only dealing with a command ban.

To be fair, he's not. I applied an appeal-only ban as of last night after reviewing his account, his notes, and his ahelp history. It should be updated on his end now, for some reason the ban message doesn't display all bans, just the one that was first applied until it expires.

Edited by Retequizzle

'd just like to also chime in that wordlessly doming a recently cloned person with little/no explanation and because you are "RP'ing a revenge crazed psycho of a HoS" is a very poor reason to front your use of force with. The execution could have been perfectly valid if you took it through the proper channels more than likely but I think you skipped several important steps.

Okay so if you had read my appeal or the logs, there was more to the story than "I was in RP." It was red alert, the syndie was revived by med, I had thought sec was completely fucked since engi team was ineffective the round before and somewhat in the current round (CE had his magboots swiped while he was actively doing stuff), Sec being busted into by nukies, armory raided by some engis and supposedly the chaplain, and sec being filled with trit prior from atmos thingy. I do agree and apologize in hindsight for not consulting the captain, this is what the ban was for and the ban itself I would say is justified in the fact that punishment is justified. I however am trying to argue for instead of an indefinite or perma ban or whatever from all command roles for a different course, that being either accepted appeal or a timeframe, preferably not longer than 2 weeks. I personally believe that there is a compromise to any situation of two disagreeing parties where both sides can either be happy or disappointed (I hope for a happy one ngl). 

On a side note for the crazed HoS, I've been reading the Game of Thrones books and there is a theme that when people come back from death they are different, a character in it comes back from death and turns from a noble, family loving woman into a revenge driven zombie lady. That's kind of what I was going for.

You also have 12 notes on your account. They involve, in no particular order:

• Spacing/killing yourself immediately round start (2x)
  • OOC/IC and IC/OOC when things are not going your way (2x)
  • Validhunting with contraband as a QM/Ordering and breaking open weapons as a QM without real purpose
  • FOUR notes for questionable or downright poor HoS play:
    • Asked if you could use less lethals to abuse the crew for "non-crimes" and or abuse/degrade prisoners verbally for not really any reason
    • Over-zealously executed a bartender (by spacing them) for shooting security with a flaregun without following the proper channels
    • Over-zealously used lethals to incapacitate or kill a crew member randomly attacking people without making any effort to utilize less-lethal means

This is going to be a big one.
So I was not informed that the majorities of this was on my record per say, since most of them I was not talked to for. I believe once I spaced myself as QM at the beginning of the round because i didn't know I was QM, it was Kettle and QM spawns with cargotechs and looks the same has the same starting gear except for a slightly different color difference. I talked to the admin about that and it was very courteous and not aggressive. I don't know about the other one, maybe it was when I was cargo tech on accident during mad broken cargo on kettle and I ran into the electric chair as a joke? I don't know if that's against the rules but cargotechs were actually useless at that time, basically greytide.

I do not exactly know what OOC/IC and IC/OOC when things are not going your way means, is that complaining IC when an admin is punishing me or complaining OOC when someone didn't do their job properly and lost the round? If it is the latter then my past two posts have more on my progress to fixing that.

I don't know what validhunting is, I assume looking for a reason to buy guns as cargo, but I only buy guns for cargo as QM if someone screams nukies or zombies over radio and it goes on red alert. Probably a time when guns were already ordered and it was a false call, so I had guns in my midst. Ngl, I've seen QM's buy salvs and cargotechs SMGs during green, the most I'll do is buy 1 laser crate for salv. 

For The HoS stuff, there are a lot of good reasons and explanations behind these.

Asked if you could use less lethals to abuse the crew for "non-crimes" and or abuse/degrade prisoners verbally for not really any reason

First of all, why even put that on my record? I asked cap or ahelp if I could oppress the station? I didn't oppress the station with insults and pistols or whatever because I asked and was told no. 

Over-zealously executed a bartender (by spacing them) for shooting security with a flaregun without following the proper channels

A bartender shot my warden with a flare gun, so I dragged him into space with chanting from my sec team for me to do so. There wasn't any captain on the station and I didn't know the precise rules for execution. I had a talk with I believe Chief_Engineer about it and I learned the rules for that sort of thing, another courteous talk with ahelp. This is part of the reason why this ban here is kind of big, showing that I knew that I needed cap's permission. As stated above, before, in the appeal, and in the logs I had thought the brig was unsuitable for life from varying evidence. But yeah, I acknowledged my mistake on the bartender thing and I haven't executed anyone on green again.

Over-zealously used lethals to incapacitate or kill a crew member randomly attacking people without making any effort to utilize less-lethal means

I don't remember if I had an admin talk to me about this one or not. There was a guy trying to murder CMO with a crowbar, CMO was on red and I could tell from his slow walk, and I thought fast. I drew the pistol, downed the guy into crit, cuffed him and ordered med to heal him up and hold him until a sec could retrieve him. At the time I was carrying two lethals, the pistol and the laser gun, because in my first round as warden the HoS at the time told me to carry both for protection. From that point on though I only started carrying the pistol. I downed the guy with the gun because A. Urgency and B. He was in med. I read the rules and I am about 99% positive that if a situation escalates to the point that someone is put in crit, you do your best to revive them. I think downing them in med and telling med to help is my damn best without abandoning my duties as HoS and helping the guy by becoming a med. 

3 hours ago, lonesoldier55 said:

So this one is a funny story. Instead of doing my normal default RP of militaristic HoS with PTSD ends meet the means, I decided to RP a strong urge to smoke weed and eat donk pockets. I asked this sec off if he had weed or donk pockets, he angerly replied no. Started bitching about me in sec chat and other stuff. So I smacked him with the stun baton until I stunned him. I didn't arrest him at this point just stunned him. Later he assaulted me and my warden (Not sure about the warden part) and I stunned then cuffed him. I was going to arrest him for a minute and joke about it but then he SSD'd. 

So I have some comments on this type of stuff. I feel as if I have seen people do MUCH worst and get no punishment, or even mentioning. Does this mean that a lot of people are breaking the rules and there are hidden logs of these imaginary crimes on a record? Because guess what, without being told that something you did was against the rules, it's kinda hard to tell if you broke the rules or not. May I have my full record by the way so I can learn from my mistakes? I mean honestly, I felt like half of this was just informing me of protocol and rules, like don't carry a laser gun at the start of the round, or don't ask if we can oppress the station or whatever. Also, @lonesoldier55was the twelfth thing on my record QM abandoning post or a cargonia thing? What is my actual record? Is this entirely accurate based on what Retequizzle said? 

• Project Manager
5 minutes ago, Stealth16 said:

I have NEVER seen this much text for a single user. Notice how many of these begin with "as QM" or "as HoS".

This is also within the last six weeks, since their first connection was 9/17/22. Contextually speaking, they were averaging almost two major issues a week, with at least half of them being just related to actions they took as a Command role.

So the HoS 4 I explained and I consider myself completely liable for only 1 of which, The QM sec crates might be end round? I don't open up crates or buy crates during the mid round without a good reason to. OOC and IC thing I literally see everywhere, people yelling self-antag and that's when I kind of reflected on the whole snitching thing, have no idea about the first one might be when I was still pretty new or something I don't know, the suicide 2 minutes as salv literally was me being informed that I am QM banned, talking to the admin and forgetting I ready upped. It was partly out of frustration and out of it's 2 am I need to sleep. Cargonia thing was a whole situation, ask me if you want me to get into that, is that about it?

Well here's the situation as I see it. I have been playing for about six weeks, I am not a master gamer who knows every single thing about every part of the station. Hell I don't even know how wiring works entirely, sort of. But in my first response on this thread I do suggest getting to know and talk to the staff on an OOC level. Most shit done in game are in game, it's a game people make mistakes. I am not actively going out and searching to cause the destruction of the station, I am not greytiding to greytide, I do not shitsec to shitsec, I try to play the game and have fun while trying to follow the rules within the best of my knowledge. If I could know the community better on an OOC level then that would likely help me understand the game a bit better. However, I went through some of the ban appeal logs in preparation for this one and it seems like you guys hate people talking with each other outside of the game. So I don't know, I want to improve at being a Head because i enjoy RPing and I would like y'all to help me with that. 

Like, I love this game man. Nothing has hit hope for me like this. And I love being a head. I don't want to cause this game any harm or anything, I don't want to be an ill presence in the community, I just want to be a part of this and I am willing to adapt for that. 

You've been given an abnormally large amount of chances and because your behavior has not improved in the 6 weeks you've been here, you've run out of goodwill.

You may appeal this no sooner than December 1st (one month from today), preferably with a voucher of good behavior from another SS13 or SS14 server.

image.png.aec77a9db2471e0d9c572ec13d28700c.png

Okay so if you had read my appeal or the logs, there was more to the story than "I was in RP."

Not to drag this out but yes, I have read your appeal, most of your ahelp relay, your notes, and your connection history. I didn't just ignore the entire context of the situation. I agree that given the circumstances I may have chosen the same course albeit with SOMEONE else's consent and some explanation before just shooting someone who popped out of the cloner and then starting my explanation to an ahelp with "i'm playing a psycho" or something of that similar nature. If no consent could be gained a temporary brig or something of that description is plausible. I get it. Security is a shitty stressful job.

As far as I know I have not had interaction with you. I am an outsider trying to look in. What I am seeing here is a large amount of behavior that would tend to be problematic and or tend to degrade the experience for other players and this is apparently a frequent issue with you almost exclusively in a QM/HoS capacity. If anything a lot of these notes indicate you ought to play a lot more time as a regular security officer to properly gauge situations and be more familiar of when force is applicable. I think a lot of these instances you have explained have been barely recovered by taking the correct best course out of it, but are preventable (like not carrying any less-lethal on you as any security role is virtually forcing you to use lethal means by default to make someone comply, which doesn't really justify using it most of the time).

So, even though the appeal is denied, I'm still going to add in context from my end both as a player and as an admin who has handled a few of these incidents in the hopes that you'll understand what changes need to be made if you were to return in December. I have gone back through some a-help logs as well to substantiate my opinion.

This will be a long post, but you have a month to digest it.

As an Admin:

I am responsible for 2 of your notes. First being the Suiciding as QM and the second being you shooting the hostile cargo tech in medbay with a pistol during code green as HoS, which is the only one that matters here. I believe I am the admin that you are referencing as the one respect. As you and Stealth have exchanged a total of 6 message over 2 ahelps. Whereas you and I have had several long conversations. Given that you have acknowledge Stealth as the one you respect, I can only assume you're trying to build a rapport with whoever you deem charitable, or you have a higher opinion of an admin the less they speak to you. Neither is a good look.

The Pistol-Murdering-on-Green-Scenario

I was keeping an eye on a few obviously new players wandering maints who tended to wander around hitting things, and had been dealing with things like this for a few rounds. One such person was a cargo tech who had a hatchet and was hitting random things in corridors and maintainance before losing interest and moving on. He made his way to medbay side access. A Doctor used that door and left. This cargo tech then moved in and started hacking at a medical intern who was fiddling with their belt. That intern fell over because they didn't know what was going on, at which point the cargo tech started moved on to the CMO. At this point I was getting ready to speak to the cargo tech once you stunned and cuffed him. What you did next delayed that a bit.

You reached for your mk and fired eight shots. 5 found their target, the other 3 hit a nearby doctor trying to assist the CMO and the CMO himself, of those 4 that hit their target, 2 hit him when he was actually a threat. The other 3 you when a nearby medical doctor beat him into crit with a crowbar. This whole exchange lasted about 30 seconds and left everybody except yourself badly wounded. To be fair, I got the impression you were cautious with your shots, as you held fire when friendlies were in the way. However this did mean that the cargo tech was able to just... keep... attacking.

With a flash and baton, he wouldn't have been able to attack. He would have been stunned in 4 secs, and cuffed. If you fucked up the cuffing, he would at least be disarmed since i GUARANTEE YOU someone nearby would have taken the hatchet from the ground to assist you. I then checked your player notes before approaching.

So, here's what leapt out at me when I made my approach regarding this situation:

1) You had violated rule 12 in its entirety. However, if you stopped reading beyond the first sentence of: 

1. Security is expected to use non-lethal measures unless faced with lethal force or a situation where non-lethal measures aren't possible.
    • If you still manage to kill someone as security, get them cloned immediately, and make sure their stuff is returned, unless they are a confirmed antagonist. Security should make their best effort to keep criminals alive and in custody.

one could argue that you hadn't. So I approached you to clarify what behaviour the rule was meant to enforce. That is, of using the minimum force required to preserve yourself, the crew and the station in any situation. In addition to keeping those crew alive. Our rules are flawed and are to be replaced. However the exception for antagonists, is intended to apply to their belongings. It also specifies confirmed antagonists. This player, though definitely acting with lethal intent, was not a confirmed antagonist.

2) The Man was a lethal threat, but one that was not only easily dealt with nonlethals compared to a pistol, but nonlethals were an outright superior and more practical option. I wanted to inform you that, generally, nonlethals are BETTER than lethals for 80% of your needs.

3) You had extensive note history regarding escalation and command roles. You had been given several warnings on various aspects of play, but near as I can tell, you did not repeat behaviours. So I wanted to make you fully aware that reading our rules are not optional. They are required.

4) You are frequently combative and disparaging in ahelps when confronted. You deflect a lot. You frequently tell us to handle other issues other than yourself. You clearly do not trust the admin team. So my approach required me to be direct, focused and firm.

5) I had to be as brief as possible, because there were other things going on that required your attention, and I still had the cargo tech to speak to.

Here is that log for transparancy.

image.thumb.png.a4d8e7b430389377e461addf0ce4ed61.png

I learned several key points here.

• You always keep a laser gun and a lethal pistol in your backpack, and make a habit of acquiring one immediately. 
  • You put your stunbaton and disabler in your coat, which is your second least accessible container. Accessing anything in the HoS coat requires you to have expanded inventory enabled, and does not have hotkeys such as Shift + E and Shift + B. Not only that, but if you switch to hardsuit you risk forgetting those are contained there. This signals to me that you don't consider your baton and disabler your primary weapons. You consider them to be expendable. I was then very clear that this was the wrong way round.
  • You value the advice of a Head of Security whose name you can't provide, more than the explicit rulings of an admin.
  • Except for my first message, you do not acknowledge the content of my answers. You use subject changes to avoid giving direct answers. When I ask 'was the HoS an admin' you don't answer. When I ask 'why are you carrying lethals on code green' you repeat that you had to act fast to save the CMO. And so on and so on.
  • You keep telling me Chief_Engineer condoned your actions and repeated that. I told you it was irrelevant, and that my ruling mattered. Your last message to me, could be boiled down to: "Back off StreakyHaddock. I have Chief_Engineer's permission. I have the right to use lethal force where I see fit." In short, you used your interpretation of a ruling from an admin who wasn't present, to dismiss the ruling of an admin who was.
  • You use the word 'Sorry' improperly.

I let you leave at this point, because there was an actual bomber. I didn't get to finish my point. However, it had [b]not[/b] escaped me that by the end of the exchange, you had given no indication you would change your behaviour. In fact when that exchange ended, I had every expectation to see you posting a thread in this forum. I had made it explicitly clear to you where the limits were, and you had chosen to stick to your extremely selective interpretation of the rules instead of actively engaging with the rules. I can't tell if you genuinely believe you were in the right, or hoping that an appearance of stubborn ignorance would protect you from eventually getting banned.

Checking logs now, I see that after the round after that, then after that and every round to the day of y our ban, as HoS, got yourself a laser gun and an MK at the start of the round, in what I interpret as a conscious disregard of my instruction. To your credit, you have shown more care about lethals and awareness of alerts when speaking to your underlings after that incident. However ultimately you crossed the line again. And now you're here. To be honest, you were originally given a command ban by chief. Because he, like I, thinks that you can become a productive player if you learn more about the game and stop playing with guns and authority.

To reference your appeal directly: 

image.png.e550414f3550a6ef214c174fe8673885.png

See above. You were spoken to. At length. I was explicit. When you tell us 'My 1st ever HoS said I could'. We don't say 'oh okay go ahead' we say: 'what's the name of this HoS?'.

image.png.af8a25ec071a8b165022227e6a621daa.png

Things like this are noted down in case it becomes a pattern. It's also noted down so that if they are given an answer, and then later go and do the thing they were told not to do... a separate admin can call them out when they then say 'oh i didnt know i wasnt told'. It speaks also to the motives you are drawn to a role. When a Head of Security says 'can i be corrupt and jail people for non-crimes'. that is an immediate red flag. Many, many people have this kind of note because 1984 RP is something that people want to do. For some of them, it is the only note on their account. For you, it was your NINTH.

As a Security Officer, not adminning.

I have had two interactions with you as a Security Officer, during which time I had turned off my admin powers and effectively gone 'off duty'. During which time we are expected to ahelp and not handle admin business while actively playing, and not to handle any incidents directly related to ourselves.

One time you were a chemist, second time you were Head of Security. 

My first interaction with you:

image.png.b23aa583b32af4e7fdfc467d5863e5ee.png

image.png.291fa8159192e812479c8b415b0fa5e6.png

This note here was made by an admin, after I ahelped because you were aggressively and persistently accusing me, a Security Officer, of 'self-antagging' after I arrested you.

The Story here, from my perspective: I was a Security Officer. I was wandering around medbay because it had had a few break-ins, but not for a while. I passed you and another Chemist talking to eachother in the lobby. As I left the door to leave medbay, I saw a flash of an explosion and heard a boom. I ran back to see what it was. The tiles were undamaged and there was an empty soda can there. So I went from 'concerned' to 'this is probably fine they shouldn't be doing it in medbays public lobby.' 

I asked 'who threw that bomb' and you said 'you did.' I immediately assumed you were joking, and asked again. You said 'I told you, you did.' The other chemist, quite wisely, kept quiet. At this point I began to assume YOU had thrown it, and were just screwing with me for a laugh, or deliberately trying to protect the identity of someone who did. I flashed you, batoned you, cuffed you and led you away. You then accused me of self-antag. Which is a very specific OOC word. In this specific incident you were accusing me, a security officer who cannot be antag, of self-antag. Using IC words in 

Here is the ahelp I sent.

image.png.2cae89b1cc31b99d3d8896fa959aabd3.png

Bearing in mind, this is sent while I'm trying to keep you controlled while you're constantly unbuckled and yelling to all and sundry. I ahelped at first to make sure I hadn't fucked up, because I had changed my mind from 'they're hiding the identity of the person who made the tiny bomb' to 'do... do they actually believe I bombed medbay?" Complaining about the OOC in IC was kind of a side-complaint because it was making it VERY DIFFICULT to actually have a conversation with you.

This is my first encounter with you. After this, the impression I had settled on of Jessica Von Traub, the Chemist, was this:

She doesn't know the game or it's mechanics. She jumps immediately to conclusions without considering them properly. She does not compromise. She will make things as unpleasant and prolonged as possible for security when inconvenienced. Escalating a simple "Who the fuck threw that bomb" "I dunno, I was looking at accordian songs." "Hmmm.... okay." to a 30 minute ordeal where you had to be sealed in a locker by a disorganised sec team simply so you could be processed. Am I condoning you being sealed in a locker? No. Am I surprised that it happened to someone who absolutely refuses to be held in a cell? Also no. I didn't have much of a hand in your processing after the initial part. I handed you off to the Warden quickly because I did not want to deal with you.

I encountered you on and off as HoS while playing and as an admin. Week before last, I dedicated a whole 6 days of playing the game without adminning. It was great. On two of those rounds, I was an Officer under your leadership. 

During that round, I single-person cells crammed with 2 people in them each. Bullet casings strewn all about the floor as well as witnessing you shooting the Clown in the head with a laser gun through a window because he tried to break out. Now the server rules empower you, as Security, to DO something about someone repeatedly trying to escape the brig. You didn't do that, you just shot him in the head, while he was sharing a cell with someone else. The Brig became so packed full of angry people sharing cells and trying to press in the front door that keeping it under control was a full time job. You had not, at any point, communicated over sec radio why they were in, how long for, and how long they had served despite being asked over radio repeatedly. So eventually i released them. You yelled at me and called me an idiot, but thankfully you left it at that.

You lost the trust of half of security after that, as well as any of the crew watching. So when there were reports later on that 'Security is shooting up medbay staff!!' myself and another officer were resolved to arrest you because we believed you were capable of doing it. We didn't get the chance, because the Clown later came back to take his revenge on security and killed me with a hatchet while i was dying from poison foam. He was later perma'd for another incident. So was the mime who welderbombed sec. 

The Second time you were Head of Security, and I was Officer had the opposite problem. Whereas before you micromanaged everything, overruled the warden and tanked our reputation amongst the crew... this time you were utterly absent. You gave the occasional order to 'arrest the clown.' But follow ups of 'Which clown? What did they do? How dangerous are they?' went unanswered. 'HoS we have several incidents going on, we need instructions on what to prioritise' went unheeded. The Warden had to do your job for you with half of the ability, and Officers had to basically handle their own arrests and brig processing. Which, I can tell you, is a recipe for disaster.

Why you have been an awful Head of Security and Quartermaster.

I have gone into so much effort and transparent with you as possible about my experiences with you as an admin and as a player, so you appreciate the full impact your 'roleplay' has on those around you. Your roleplay is not welcomed. Your roleplay is indistinguishable from the real thing. Someone roleplaying a crazed psychotic HoS has the same gameplay effect as someone shooting up a cuffed prisoner because they can. Your roleplay of a baked, unserious drug-dealing HoS has very real repercussions on the morale and capablility of the department you lead, and the crew's willingness to assist or tolerate security's interventions. Your roleplay as a militaristic authoritarian HoS was indistinguishable from every other Head of Security who acts like The Law and a Trenchcoated Badass Commissar as opposed to the Manager of the Security Department. You get cool guns and good armour out of TRUST not because they're toys. It's fun to pull the trigger and see spacemen turn sideways,  but Security and Command are held to higher standards than regular crew. As both Security AND Command, the Head of Security is held to THE HIGHEST standard, because unlike the Captain, the HoS can make it IMPOSSIBLE for a Good Security Officer to BE a Good Security Officer. A Bad CMO doesn't affect a Doctor's capabilities, a bad CE doesnt affect an Engineer's and a bad QM can't... actually, the QM can make a cargo tech and salvager's job impossible. 

This lack of control and big-picture awareness of your own department and communications with your heads, can be distilled into what got you banned.

You killed a guy who had just been cloned, and blamed medbay for being reckless. You justified this as medbay fucking around (as opposed to doing their job, this could have been dealt with by speaking to CMO first but I digress) and justified this to Chief as 'Sec being fucked.' Security and the Brig, was in fact, fine. You just weren't aware. You had made an assumption based on the fact you had seen a dying/gasping prisoner. A prisoner who... you have a responsibility to keep alive.

With that cleared up, let's address why I'm being so transparent.

We are volunteers, and despite your opinion, we DO talk amongst ourselves about admin matters, even when we aren't online.

You are treating Chief_Engineer as an irrational, biased scapegoat and at the same time, wielding your interpretation of his rulings as a shield against other admins. It's extremely blatant in your appeal that you think Chief_Engineer has it out for you. He doesn't. He has helped you deal with bugs regarding the armoury buttons, dealt with bug abusers and rule breakers you have reported. When he speaks to you about things you've done, he keeps a calm tone and shows you far, far, far more patience than 80% of the admin team would give you. Every ban has gone through the rest of the admin team. The reality of it is, Yourself, Chief_Engineer and Myself, all play at the same time. I like to de-admin myself, since I enjoy the game. You play roles that come with high scrutiny. All members of Security, but ESPECIALLY the Head of Security will FREQUENTLY be approached by admins because they will have:

A) Fucked up
B) Ahelped about someone fucking up

C) Understands the whole story behind a really confusing and strange fuck up

D) Didn't fuck up, but is being accused of fucking up.

The Head of Security is the most frequently contacted role, regardless of ability or situation which means that when you do stuff like this, we NOTICE a lot more. That is it. You are online when Chief is online. Your actions are more high-profile. You accuse Chief of bias, but you are the only one being hostile.

Here is how Chief talks to you:

image.png.5c45ed4b0cc0e50648e3267786a8e8ab.pngimage.png.28b147102ab6b8973ed0c846e8cc26be.pngimage.png.1cb0479766c92d6cfa83d10f23f02645.pngimage.png.b215e55ca77de11dd8d5f1084c08e9ee.png

In these ahelps he consistently: Asks questions, tries to put you in an observer's perspective to understand why what you're doing is a problem. Outright give you a choice to avoid problems you have put yourself in. Set QM to none. It's a bit like me telling you: Don't carry lethals in your backpack if they aren't required. Looking through logs, he takes you seriously when you complain, and actually rules in your favour when the facts lead him there. In addition, quite a few of your ahelps with him have... other admins in them, showing that he was not alone in his judgement EVEN IN THE MOMENT.

Where as you, speak to him like this...

image.png.df51b8c81340ead897d8492c3299399d.png

image.png.84ff9fd31bd95343eb20a63d93fd8439.png

image.png.5277adba70f1a1225bc9b99613ddb6b8.png

i dont even know what that last one is about

In Summary

I was asked to give a comment on this thread as 'the only admin [you] respect'. Though I believe the suggestion was made with a little bit of irony, I am taking it seriously. Because what I have laid out as the final post in this closed ban appeal is a very, very bad depiction of you. Going through logs, there are things I believe are true about you.

I believe you genuinely enjoy SS14 and want it to succeed.

I believe you are capable of cooperating with admins and other players even when it doesn't entirely favour you.

I believe your lack of game knowledge and refusal to actually ABSORB the rules we keep telling you to look at and then ask for further clarification. The QM ban was meant to serve you by encouraging you to play security. What do you know, you suddenly gained a lot more empathy for security now you know what it's like to be on the receiving end of someone screaming, resisting every time you hold still and making whats meant to be a 1 minute stop and search a 30 minute ordeal. However, it's not worth the impact it would have on the playerbase to have you, someone who is clearly enamoured with authority and the exercise of power, be job-banned from every single command role of every department until you actually decide to just... learn the basics of the game, and how the decisions of command actually influences the people beneath them. So you learn what is a reasonable mistake and what isn't. Because...

You always assume malice, not incompetance. Incompetance is fucking rife in the playerbase. Me as an Admin, and me as a Player, are two different people.

I have spent four and a half hours compiling everything together and writing this, because I have seen, in my time adminning on Space Station THIRTEEN, players of your calibre/quality get banned, permabanned, unbanned, banned again, unbanned, and then somehow a year or so later, they become a pretty decently respected admin/head admin/developer/head developer etc. I am writing a fucking ESSAY with goddamn CITATIONS and SCREENCAPS so you have the opportunity to blow our socks off on December 1st with a bloody good appeal. We want a totally different kind of person to apply.

Your issues are ones stemmed from immaturity and an inability to control your emotions in a roleplaying game. You stubbornly refuse to play by the rules, and I believe that you think you're gaining credibility by discrediting Chief_Engineer. In Ahelps, In Conversations with him and now in this appeal. You are doing the opposite. You're further condemning yourself as a toxic player. I believe, fully, that you have it within you to improve based on interactions with OTHER admins (including chief), your logs IN and Out of Character, and that there is SOME effort shown, to try and change behaviour. 

For me to support your appeal next month, if you choose to make it, here are my personal conditions which are only influencing my vote:

• Apologise to Chief_Engineer. He hasn't been biased against you. You've just been extremely disrespectful.
  • Don't Roleplay. Yes, we have a light roleplay server. But your roleplay isn't good. It's not fun for other people. Keep OOC terms out of your IC channel and vice-versa. Focus on just... playing the role you're playing as best you can, while not making other people's time worse.
  • Don't play Command.
  • Play all of the other roles. Even Antagonists. But not Nuke Commander.
  • If you're angry and furious, quit. Ahelp first if you're a traitor, but just go. Take a break. It's not worth getting in trouble.
  • READ THE RULES. ASK FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS.

That's it. I'm getting a coffee.

image.png