Ban Appeal - JephPezos

JephPezos

SS14 account: JephPezos
Character name: Chef Jeph, Tyronne Biggums
Type of Ban: game ban
Date of Ban and Duration: now
Reason for Ban: metacomms with Jacksan
Server you were playing on when banned: Lizard 
Your side of the story: Having fun with friend I met in game (Jacksan) killed clown (Killed him for stealing my id) got sent to perma birg. It was boring af, and so him being my friend, I went afk and dm him on discord (I got his discord through SS14 discord) from my phone that he could just kill me since I was starving (in game) and went and got food (IRL). 

Admin saw him kill me, and I told him that I dm him on discord and he perma banned
Why you think you should be unbanned: It was just fun with friends (even the clown said it was funny). It just feels like the admin Chief_Engineer was looking for a reason to ban so he did. 

I really enjoy the game and I am to Space Station, it's fun and I get caught up and I got lassiez-faire with the rules. That's my bad and I should be more responsible. I have made many friends in this community and would hate to lose it all over a simple discord dm over the phone D:

Anything else we should know: Earlier, I got in trouble by the same admin (Chief_Engineer) for a situation in cargo which effectively was a revolution, so I was already on thin ice.

Cargo situation: Cargo sold vending machines -> Sec got upset and said we were stealing form the ship and wanted arrest -> I (as QM) did not let sec arrest and told all cargo to go on shuttle and parked slightly away from station -> Shuttle runs out of power and gets hit by 2 meteors -> Crago dead -> Station goes to shit for multiple reasons (including singulose)

Character name:  Mark the Hungry, Pastor Chip, Mark the Wise, Spacely the Rightous

Hey I was the other guy and was also banned, I didn't mean to cause actual problems, I was just having fun RPing as a (slightly unhinged) French chef with JephPezos. I may have played it a bit too unhinged though. I saw we were stabbing the clown and just went with it since it seemed in character enough to throw a crewmate into the stew (as was suggested by another crewmate who witnessed the clown killing). Apologies for letting it get too out of hand.

I'm pretty new to the game, so when I saw the DM from JephPezos to kill him in perma-brig I didn't really think anything of it and didn't realize how big of an offense it was. I'll make sure it doesn't happen again for sure though.

3 hours ago, JephPezos said:

. It just feels like the admin Chief_Engineer was looking for a reason to ban so he did. 

got lassiez-faire with the rules. That's my bad and I should be more responsible

Why are you claiming that the admin was just “looking for a reason to ban you” but then you turn around and admit that they were correct in banning you?

Metacomms is strictly forbidden and this is clearly laid out in the rules. I think you were also (both) talked to about murdering and gibbing someone for stealing an ID; which doesn’t even get into the entire situation of making cargo completely inoperable over security wanting you to serve five minutes in the brig over stealing public assets and selling them. I think to say you were on thin ice here was an understatement.

3 hours ago, jacksan said:

Character name:  Mark the Hungry, Pastor Chip, Mark the Wise, Spacely the Rightous

Hey I was the other guy and was also banned, I didn't mean to cause actual problems, I was just having fun RPing as a (slightly unhinged) French chef with JephPezos. I may have played it a bit too unhinged though. I saw we were stabbing the clown and just went with it since it seemed in character enough to throw a crewmate into the stew (as was suggested by another crewmate who witnessed the clown killing). Apologies for letting it get too out of hand.

I'm pretty new to the game, so when I saw the DM from JephPezos to kill him in perma-brig I didn't really think anything of it and didn't realize how big of an offense it was. I'll make sure it doesn't happen again for sure though.

This isn’t your ban appeal; though I can already see that you already tried to evade your ban under the key “TheSquishmallow” so I can tell you with confidence that what you did isn’t going to happen again on Wizard’s Den for six months (0421/2023). You can only appeal your ban now when you come back and make an appeal with a voucher of good behavior from another SS13/SS14 server.

Edited by lonesoldier55

5 hours ago, lonesoldier55 said:

Why are you claiming that the admin was just “looking for a reason to ban you” but then you turn around and admit that they were correct in banning you?

Metacomms is strictly forbidden and this is clearly laid out in the rules. I think you were also (both) talked to about murdering and gibbing someone for stealing an ID; which doesn’t even get into the entire situation of making cargo completely inoperable over security wanting you to serve five minutes in the brig over stealing public assets and selling them. I think to say you were on thin ice here was an understatement.

I'm fine with being punished, it's not like I didn't break rules, but a perma ban for saying a DM that said "Hey you can just kill me in game, I'm going to get food and take dog out. Fuck permabrig" is excessive. When for the rest of the shift we RP'd and the admin (Chief_Engineer) was watching us. 

I say he was looking for a reason to ban me because it felt that way, when I told him that I messaged Jacksan on discord he said nothing other than "thx" and banned me because he finally found his reason to.

He was spamming me in ahelp and I was complying with what he wanted while I was trying to talk to security. He was rude and aggressive, and he was a happy little dude when he clicked that ban button. I also caught an attitude with him since I was annoyed and overwhelmed about having to RP and talk to the admin at the same time.

Also in my opinion, the cargo situation falls in RP. I was QM, so I was simply trying to protect my men, all the people in cargo said they had fun, and it was a great shift, but the 5 people in cargo having fun at the cost of the other 60 players on the server is not a good trade, I understand that now.

Like I said I can handle a ban; for it to be perma is excessive. I am a new player to SS14 and I am simply asking for forgiveness and redemption. Maybe forced spectator for a couple rounds, or job banned from anything with power for a week, or a simply a vacation few days. I love this community, game, and player base and want to be a part of it.

Let me try to address this piece by piece:

I'm fine with being punished, it's not like I didn't break rules, but a perma ban for saying a DM that said "Hey you can just kill me in game, I'm going to get food and take dog out. Fuck permabrig" is excessive. When for the rest of the shift we RP'd and the admin (Chief_Engineer) was watching us. 

To explain the ban duration, and as Emisse already alluded to, we hand out zero tolerance appeal-only bans for metacommunications in any capacity. We have absolutely no way of knowing to what extent you are communicating with another party and we have to assume that if you're doing it, it is being abused since there is no way for us to prove otherwise. If you wanted to die in-game you could have told someone IC or just used /ghost or /suicide instead of contacting your friend to kill you.

As for the admin watching you, we tend to do that to moderate the game. Its kind of a big function.

I say he was looking for a reason to ban me because it felt that way, when I told him that I messaged Jacksan on discord he said nothing other than "thx" and banned me because he finally found his reason to.

He was spamming me in ahelp and I was complying with what he wanted while I was trying to talk to security. He was rude and aggressive, and he was a happy little dude when he clicked that ban button. I also caught an attitude with him since I was annoyed and overwhelmed about having to RP and talk to the admin at the same time.

From what I can see he had to contact the both of you more than once to address what you were doing in game (butchering someone who stole an ID and attacking a security cadet who was merely asking you about butchering someone who stole an ID). This behavior is extremely problematic for other players and as far as I can tell it looks like it was handled patiently and cordially. I am not seeing where he was "spamming", "rude", or "aggressive". Here's the substance of the ahelp relay between you, the administrator, as well as jacksan. 
image.thumb.png.b691a91557517048130cf47cf10422ab.png

image.png.68d46476409f1e4e7cabe12b4367b563.png

And finally as far as "finding his reason to ban you", he merely probed you with a question based upon the suspicion of the two of you metacommunicating (which is strictly against the rules, which you were directed to read when you joined and directed to re-read when you were messaged the first time). You both admitted to it. You both received the standard punishment for metacomms. 

Also in my opinion, the cargo situation falls in RP. I was QM, so I was simply trying to protect my men, all the people in cargo said they had fun, and it was a great shift, but the 5 people in cargo having fun at the cost of the other 60 players on the server is not a good trade, I understand that now.

You already admitted you don't think this is right, so I won't spend too long on it. But "protecting your men" from security trying to arrest you by fucking off with all of cargo into space is not proper. If you wanted to handle this appropriately you probably could have just ordered "your men" to comply with security and there would be a lot less issues.

I feel like we're focusing on the wrong thing. 

As far as the ban for metacomms, this is what happened. I went AFK in permabrig to get food and take my dog out. While I was afk, I got on my phone and messaged Jacksan on discord (Again, found his discord from the SS14 discord) and told him just to kill me because I was starving and game and security didn't give us tools to farm. As a result, I didn't care about RP'ing in permabrig and accepted death. 

For the clown, I straight up begged him to give it back, I said this in summary

"Please give me my ID back I will give you anything you want, I will cook, clean....."

The clown said no, so I was fed up and just killed him. Since I was playing the chef I thought I won't let a body go to waste. Even the clown told me when we were dead that he thought it was funny and didn't care.

For Cargo, I apologized to the admin and everyone in OOC for it. Won't do it again. Big my bad here.

Also I can't edit, so...

Jacksan and I only talked to each other in game chat for the entire duration of the rounds I played him with. It was simply the 1 discord message that we were honest about.

And if you must know, I messaged him before we played and asked if he wanted to play chef with me.

Ban appeals tend to consider the entire scope of behavior and not just the singular offense. This being said I DO understand that the offense of metacommunication was fairly harmless in nature. I am merely trying to explain why the response seems disproportionate and why we may be apprehensive about accepting this appeal due to behavior leading up to it.

We're discussing this internally.

• Thanks 1

Alright,

The team's heavily divided on this one due to the behavior leading up to it for the most part. But consensus is to accept this appeal and give you another shot. I think your appeal and points are well written enough that I have faith you aren't actively trying to be malicious. Since its already been discussed to death in here I'll just summarize;

• Try to remember that other players are behind your interaction and it sucks if you take them out of the round permanently
  • You're playing with 64+ other people at any given time, be considerate
  • There is never any reason to metacomm with another player. Just /suicide or /ghost if you're done playing.

I'll lift this shortly, have fun.