Chief_Engineer Admin Application

Chief_Engineer

• Project Manager

In-game Username: Chief_Engineer
Discord username: Phantom, server nick is Chief_Engineer
Characters you play: Robert Newton, Alec O'Haul
How long have you been playing SS13 or SS14? I haven't played SS13 for a while but I'm pretty sure my total playtime there is higher than on SS14. I have hundreds of hours of SS14 playtime, though a lot of it is observing as a ghost.

How many hours are you available per day: Too many
Days you are available on: Most days, I'm not sure how this will change in the future but I don't expect it to change significantly very soon and I don't expect it to ever become never.

Prior administration experience (SS13 experience recommended). Please also post a way for us to verify this: I don't have any SS13 administration experience. I do have other administrator and administrator like experience, though I'm not sure I can provide any way for it to be verified so I'm not sure how much, if any, weight you'll put on it. If you'd like me to expand on any of it, let me know. If you're not interested in something you can't verify, which is certainly understandable, then you can probably skip reading the rest of this question's answer. I have 1-2 years of experience as a Minecraft server administrator from quite a while ago, but I'm not sure if it's possible for me to verify it since the server and website don't exist anymore. It gave me experience with trying to maintain positive player experiences through events, resolving conflicts between players, ensuring players with complaints or concerns feel heard and that things are acted on when necessary, etc. It also gave me experience in hunting through logs and translating what they say into the bigger picture or what a player would have experienced. The Minecraft adminship is probably my most significant experience in some sort of administrator capacity in a game. Unrelated to any game, though unfortunately still not something I can* verify, I also have experience with dealing/working with both people who mean well but cause issues due to lack of knowledge/experience and people who could probably be accurately described as shitters. I often need to help guide the inexperienced people till they either cause much fewer problems or it becomes clear that no (reasonable) amount of guidance will be helpful. *Technically I can verify the non-game related experience but for multiple reasons, I'm choosing not to verify it.
Have you been banned from our game servers or SS13 servers before? No

This is the more essay-y part of the application, you should answer the following questions in detail, so we can get a better idea of how you'd approach adminning.

What role do you think game admins serve on our servers? I think the root purpose of all game admins is to try to either maintain or strive for a positive experience for the community. Shitters aren't banned because the game/server can't handle a plasma fire or because they want to start a plasma fire, they're banned because certain actions, sometimes only in certain contexts, ruin the experience for everyone else. So people who can't control themselves enough to not ruin the game for everyone else need to be prevented from doing so with restrictions, including possibly a full ban. Admin interference in rounds happens for the same reason, the goal is to make things a positive, or more positive, experience for the community, either immediately or in the long term. Immediately being in the form of things like events or stopping shitters, in the long term being things like sending in a death squad because, despite being warned that their contracts would be terminated, science decided to continue with their cult.

How do you feel about the current roleplay status on the server? I think it's usually fine. There are occasionally bad names that I see, and sometimes people make mistakes and stay things like "round" instead of "shift", but I don't think those happen super often and mistakes are inevitable. I kind of hate when people use emoting to bypass not being able to talk and I, as a centcom inspector who previously told people not to hurt a mouse, told a bunch of people it needed to die after it started talking using emote. I don't like the lack of new life rule on LRP, but I'm told that's being discussed and I see a lot of people self-impose it, which is nice. I have seen no-RP type things dealt with on occasion so I know effort is being put into addressing the things bad enough that people would be bothered by them.

Why do you want to become an administrator for SS14? I know it's not always like this but for some reason, over the last day or two I've seen a lot of issues, things like almost the entire security department fucking around and doing whatever, and that's made me think more about applying. In general, I spend a lot of time observing anyway and I often stumble upon issues, or potential issues depending on the player's antag status, and I expect I'd notice a lot more if I knew who was and wasn't an antag since I often just assume people doing antag things are actually antags. As much as I've been told to spam out ahelps, and as much as I sometimes do, I usually still don't like to because I feel like I'm wasting volunteer time. It'd be nice to be able to do the work looking into and dealing with things myself rather than have to give the work to someone else, especially when no one else is currently available. I also think that mentorship is desperately needed for some roles. Assuming there's a way it can be done that's compliant with the admin policy, I'd like to try to somehow bus people in to do some IC training when I see an entire roll struggling and know that there's an observer capable and willing to provide some training. I think it's safe to assume that very few non-ghosts enjoy the experience of the entire engi department being a single confused TA and no one noticing that power hasn't been setup until it goes out and the mime has to break into engi to fix it. Ideally the captain or acting captain would notice this situation before the power goes out and do something but I haven't seen that happen yet. In addition, I think there are a lot of opportunities to "nudge" people into a better direction. One example of this is if someone gives out AA, including through carelessness, especially without an attempt at some sort of good justification. A majority of the time it probably won't have a negative effect that's visible to whoever gave it out but it will almost definitely have a negative effect on other players, especially if the person granted AA is a traitor. I think that if people handing out AA suddenly found themselves on the hit list of whoever they just gave AA to, that'd quickly make them realize the potential negative consequences to themselves or other crew in an IC way. In summary, I'd like to and expect to focus most of my time on helping inexperienced people, including experienced players who are inexperienced in a specific roll, and dealing with shitters, all ideally as much IC as reasonable. I expect to start off a bit slow as I get used to what is expected of me, both by the community and other admins. In the beginning I'll probably end up watching how more experienced SS14 admins deal with situations, only handling situations myself that seem pretty obvious and asking for advice on the others.

image.png.bc33d4c567502f1e0c0325f43cb6f70b.pngimage.png.a54e0c38b83579a437f56d4e5b55048b.png