Emisse Admin Application

Emisse

• Project Manager

In-game Username: Emisse
Discord username: Emisse

Characters you play: Melissa Bratton

How long have you been playing SS13 or SS14? been playing ss13 on and off for a decade. TG, Lumos. I have 2073 hours on ss14 on steam as of writing.

How many hours are you available per day: on my days off i'm free when i'm awake. 

Days you are available on: week days mostly since i work weekends. (fri sat sun)

Prior administration experience (SS13 experience recommended). Please also post a way for us to verify this:
No real experience. I admin a discord for a friend who makes videos/streams.  https://www.youtube.com/c/QuiteShallow Retequizzle or anyone else in Shycord can verify this.

Have you been banned from our game servers or SS13 servers before?
I have a job ban on librarian on TG and received a 12 hour ban on Wizard's Den for pressure nuking a guy who was meta grudging me, who later got banned. 

This is the more essay-y part of the application, you should answer the following questions in detail, so we can get a better idea of how you'd approach adminning.

What role do you think game admins serve on our servers?
Admins should attempt to facilitate a fun round for everyone while also holding boundaries and rules to the same degree for everyone. As of right now most admins will not interfere with the round in almost any way even if someone is opening breaking the rules. I believe admins should be proactive in attempts to keep the round fun for everybody, including removing bad actors or resolving issues/bugs quickly. I believe admins currently do not serve this purpose and let bad player behavior fester for much longer than they should. 

How do you feel about the current roleplay status on the server?
I'd say it currently lies on both ends of a bell curve where some people try really hard on their characters and interactions and others do not give a flying fuck about it and just play to pvp. I feel like mrp, just a week away, will help this. 

Why do you want to become an administrator for SS14?
This game is virtually unplayable for me at the moment and I will ramble on for a bit about why. 
A. The admin team as of writing is inconsistent and way too lenient. They will let bad actors get away with any amount of rule breaks for seemingly no reason, meanwhile, other people will get banned instantly for slightest of rule breaks. I have had many times where I will get online and see someone who I have ahelped multiple times in the last several days going around and rulebreaking and nothing has come of it. Bringing it up to admins who are online yields a "looking into it" and no further response. The only time the ahelp relay has yielded actual results is if I spectate a round a detail every instance of rulebreak a person is committing, at which point I might as well just be adminning myself. This is absurd from my point of view and is a failing in the part of either the system or the administration of ss14. 
B. The endless tide. Admins should ideally be either telling newer people to stop breaking rules or just removing them if its clear they're low effort and not even trying. Many a times I will log in and see new players endlessly breaking lights, hitting people, throwing drinks, stealing supplies from departments, hacking doors, hiding bodies, looting ssd people, saying slurs, committing sexual assault, impeding arrests, slipping and shoving people ad nauseum, and endless harassment of players just trying to play the game. During these times I will often see admins flying around and if an ahelp is levied about this behavior nothing will happen or I will be met with the classic "looking into it" response with no recourse. 
C. Players are expected to read the rules and be upheld to those rules. If admins are lenient in this it gives the impression to everyone that rules can be broken on a whim with no punishment happening. Giving players so many chances and warnings and low ban times is insulting to be frank; especially older players who know better. Pretending like they just made a silly mistake when they consistently break the rules over and over again for several months in a row feels like a slap in the face for the actual players who follow the rules and actively have their experience degraded because of admin leniency and player boundary pushing. The amount of high quality long term players that have quit over the last several months because of this is immense and the longer this goes on the more we will lose. Games like space station should be driving long term player engagement through active admin intervention in degradation of round quality from bad players. 

I have no real desire to become admin except to actually attempt to improve round quality for others by quickly removing/addressing bad player behavior. Hopefully this is something that will be reconciled over time with more admin experience/consistent ruling/less leniency towards blatant shittery.