Ban appeal

Phaze_Maybe

SS14 account: Phaze_Maybe
Character name: James J Jamesson
Type of Ban: Name Ban
Date of Ban and Duration: 720 Min / 12 Hours (2022-08-17 to 2022-08-18)
Reason for Ban: "Refusing to change their name after being told, several times."
Server you were playing on when banned: Wizard's Den Lizard [US West]
Your side of the story: I got banned because my name (James J Jamesson) was apparently the name of an fictional character from the spiderman series
Why you think you should be unbanned: Because my name is not from the Spiderman series, i came up with it myself and it isnt even similiar to any of the character names in the spiderman series. I am an very active member of the space station 14 community and really love the game. i tried to reason with the admin he refused to even give real answers to my questions. I feel like the ban was very unfair since my name is not from any fictional characters and i were not allowed to reason with the admin.
Anything else we should know: I really don't care about being unbanned since it was just a 12 hour ban, i just want to bring attention to this admins wrong doings (in my opinion). the name of the admin is "DogZero"

Admin chat

image.thumb.png.e8219e63ee2b087644cf14ebe066642e.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Jonah_Jameson - this guy? Took fuzzy matching of Wikipedia search, it's rather different from "James J Jamesson". To me name of that character in appeal is "literally who?". However I am curious about handling of their armory break-in during round I played with them.

Alt of "Myctai" for forum, extra details on About Me page.

Just to clarify on this, the rule also covers parody names or names that are very similar to notable fictional or real characters. Just changing your name to something like "Walter Black" instead of "Walter White" doesn't grant you immunity to being told to change your name.

Primarily, a lot of people's first impression (including mine) was that your name of choice was a parody or of high similarity to Jonah Jameson, the spiderman dude, which is why you were approached and asked to change it. The admin in question was dealing with several other situations and admin-helps at the time which is why replies were not immediate and when they did come they were simply requests to change your name.

I feel like this entire situation could have been avoided if you simply just said "Okay, I'll change it", and there wouldn't have been any problem for at least the rest of the round. 

• Project Manager

1. The admin said spiderman and you brought up JJJ, you clearly acknowledged it as a reference.

2. "unless you give me an actual reason" the actual reason is the rules, specifically rule 8, which you clearly haven't read.

3. Next time an admin asks you to do something simple and you adamantly refuse to do it for 15 minutes don't go whining about copping a ban.

Since you don't care about being unbanned (your words) there's no point keeping the appeal open.